Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Picked up my first M44 (pics)

*SEE LAST POST FOR ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS, BOTTOM PAGE 2*
Purchased it through the forum...first time doing that.

The rifle is so....new. Here is a link to the album:
http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/...ossberg%20500/

It has the S-100 sight. Serial # 162,XXX. Both barrel and receiver are marked U.S. Property. Serial is only the receiver. I bought this through a forum user that bought it from a guy selling his collection. No CMP paperwork available.

Questions:
1. The bolt handle doesn't match the rest of the body. Original?
2. The handle looks like two pieces of metal pressed together. Is this the norm?
3. I read on a website from a google seach that these rifles are to have a cartouche. True? If so where?
4. It has a couple specs of rust on the barrel. What is the best way to clean them up w/o damaging the finish?

So what exactly do I have here?

Video format, same pics with a video at the end...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-QD_CXYoBw

Thanks for any help you can give me!

edit: also, there is a large gap between the stock and finger grooves of the trigger guard. also normal?

Last edited by .22shooter; 01-18-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Very nice

Some of the M44s have the trigger guard issue you mention.

You can replace it with a repro (havlinsales.com)
I've also read some people have successfully 'reshaped' the triggerguard by heating it with a hair dryer.

I got a replacement when I bough the M44 Sharpshooter package from havlin, but have not installed it.
The original should be marked Mossberg, with patent numbers, etc.

How are you defining 'large' ?
Mine gaps a couple millimeters - it's just a visual - does not interfere with the function on my rifle.

The crud on the bolt looks like it might be dried/hardened oil.
Environmental issues aside, try brake cleaner.

The bolt configuration is normal.
I have 2 M44s. Both are marked US Property.
One I know is from CMP, not sure on the other.
Neither have cross cannon cartouches.

I do not think your safe/fire inserts are OEM.
Believe the OEM inserts are (painted/colored) metal, not plastic.

Last edited by aj98; 01-04-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj98 View Post
Very nice

Some of the M44s have the trigger guard issue you mention.

You can replace it with a repro (havlinsales.com)
I've also read some people have successfully 'reshaped' the triggerguard by heating it with a hair dryer.

I got a replacement when I bough the M44 Sharpshooter package from havlin, but have not installed it.

How are you defining 'large' ?
Mine gaps a couple millimeters - it's just a visual - does not interfere with the function on my rifle.

The crud on the bolt looks like it might be dried/hardened oil.
Environmental issues aside, try brake cleaner.
I guess it is small gap. Plenty of light sneaks through. Mine is the same, doesn't interfere with the function of the rifle.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM

congratulations hope you have a shooter, gun oil on a rag will get rid of barrel rust. the bolt is 2 pieces, it unscrews. clean with brake fluid then flush a little zippo lighter fluid onto and into the bolt , allow to drip overnight keep away from heat. lighter fluid has just enough lubricant to keep a bolt and firing pin working in any weather. grease is used on caming surfaces. on your trigger guard a bungee cord wrapped around then heat with a hair dryer will pull it into the stock... a lot of the bolts didn't match but all were checked by cmp for proper head space. found my 44's liked faster ammo, anything around 1100 to 1240 shot real well... havelin's sells the 17A front sight replacement I believe there are 8 different sights the front posts taps out left to right and the 17 goes in right to left a nice upgrade...

Last edited by MLHSR; 01-04-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLHSR View Post
congratulations hope you have a shooter, gun oil on a rag will get rid of barrel rust. the bolt is 2 pieces, it unscrews. clean with brake fluid then flush a little zippo lighter fluid onto and into the bolt , allow to drip overnight keep away from heat. lighter fluid has just enough lubricant to keep a bolt and firing pin working in any weather. grease is used on caming surfaces. on your trigger guard a bungee cord wrapped around then heat with a hair dryer will pull it into the stock... a lot of the bolts didn't match but all were checked by cmp for proper head space. found my 44's liked faster ammo, anything around 1100 to 1240 shot real well... havelin's sells the 17A front sight replacement I believe there are 8 different sights the front posts taps out left to right and the 17 goes in right to left a nice upgrade...
Thanks for the tips. To be honest, I'm going to try and leave this rifle as is. I don't plan on a shooting it a lot. I here these rifles were sold for 75 dollars back in the 90s. I might collect value on this one.
"grease is used on camming surfaces"
In my book, if it slides it gets grease, if it turns it gets oil. Oil is such a pain so just do grease.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 PM

grease will attract and hold dirt and unburnt debree from a round, that eventually causes jamming and wear. wear results in uneven alighnment and eventually like a scope going bad the accuracy is lost in small increments and hardly noticed. only grease camming surfaces......triggers assy. and bolts use only zippo. good shooting ........
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM

Range Report. I went today despite it being a little windy. I must say I'm not ecstatic about my targets.

My excuses for not shooting better : three stage trigger...lol. I don't think I was getting consistent front sight placement, it's pretty thick (0.1 inches). I might paint a thin stripe on the front sight...there was a breeze going too

25 yards, two groups from sight adjustment
http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_1385.jpg
25 again
http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_1386.jpg

50, one grouping with no sight adjustments
http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_1388.jpg

100 yards, circled shots are the first group. I didn't really put much effort into the last shots as you can tell
http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_1389.jpg

I have heard that 44s like faster ammo. So I will try that. But I don't think that will show much of a difference unless I get a better reference point on the front sight and a smoother release.

Last edited by .22shooter; 01-05-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:50 PM

Nice rifle she looks like she has a great bluing and no nicks or dings. I love the way my M44 looks and feels. I have only shot a it a few times and am still trying to sight in my Havlin rear and front globe sites. Overall it shoots nice but is not as accurate as my 10/22 Target. I have FTF with the Havlin aftermarket mags I purchased however the original one which came with my rifle works great. I read information that you have to fit each magazine but haven't gotten around to it.

The stock looks amazingly new. Does the serial number on the receiver match the one on the stock?

Last edited by Mac Attack; 01-06-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:10 AM

Nice looking 44. There are solutions to the trigger guard problem on the internet. Check the more popular Mossberg 44 US sites. Mostly involves using a hair dryer and some electric ties (or other clamping device). Havlin also sells new made guards, if you want to save yours... remember that's a very old and primitive plastic in the guard and they can shatter after a while. Shooting won't hurt the rifle at all, I wouldn't think - and you'll find you can really "grow" into the gun... I get great groups with mine - orig sights, too - at even 100 yards. These old guys were made to shoot. The more I read up on mine the more I like it. No cartouch on either of mine, so don't feel left out (haha).
Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
Does the serial number on the receiver match the one on the stock?
There is no serial number that I can see on the stock....