Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
I get great groups with mine - orig sights, too - at even 100 yards.
what exactly do you call great groups? I know the people that own 44s and all three tell me they are great shooting rifles. I can't say I'm happy with how the rifle shoots (maybe how I shoot it)
Old 01-07-2011, 05:08 PM

BSRMAN36,

Your bolt handle is definitely OK. As far as the cartouche goes, you won't find them on all of the stocks, I have five of them and only one cartouche. Numbered stocks- I've never seen one , maybe on a NWSC (Naval Weapons Support Center) rifle. They were re-serial numbered by the Navy and could have had the serial No# stamped on the stock. I don't know, I don't own one. Kroil or your favorite oil plus 0000 steel wool and a light touch for the rust. Also, I didn't think the 50 YD target was that bad, remember this was a training rifle, not a match rifle.

Steve
Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschrad View Post
BSRMAN36,

Your bolt handle is definitely OK. As far as the cartouche goes, you won't find them on all of the stocks, I have five of them and only one cartouche. Numbered stocks- I've never seen one , maybe on a NWSC (Naval Weapons Support Center) rifle. They were re-serial numbered by the Navy and could have had the serial No# stamped on the stock. I don't know, I don't own one. Kroil or your favorite oil plus 0000 steel wool and a light touch for the rust. Also, I didn't think the 50 YD target was that bad, remember this was a training rifle, not a match rifle.

Steve
Thanks Steve. You definitely reminded me of a good point. It's a training rifle. Thanks.

Last edited by .22shooter; 01-08-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 PM

I didn't want to start another thread but, you guessed it, I got questions.

One thing is really bugging me. It seems that the floor plate is not blued like the rests of the parts. I did read that 144US rifles had blued barrel/receiver but all other parts were gray phosphate.

Any ideas?

Also, the rear sight doesn't sight square(perpendicular) to the axis of the bore. Instead of the line of the bore lining up the with rear sight, it is off at a slight angle?

Again, any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

(btw the barrel has what appears to be a letter W or M. I posted on a thread about this but theories are welcome of course!)
Old 01-19-2011, 04:28 PM

Bill,

On the S100 sight, on the vertical post that holds everything together, there are four grooves that act as detentes for the sight. On the bottom of the mount there is a fork -like apparatus that engages these detentes. Make sure that they are clean of all crud or they might not lock in as designed. You probably could soak it in Hoppes or mineral spirits for a few days and then take a nylon brush and scrub it up. It worked for me on one.

As far as the floorplate goes, I have seen them in zinc park, mangenize park and bluing. I don't think it mattered to them if they matched, just if they worked. Just put some Naval Jelly (Or soak in vinegar) on it and then throw some cold blue on it.

Last edited by sschrad; 01-19-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschrad View Post
As far as the floorplate goes, I have seen THEM in zinc park, mangenize park and bluing. I don't think it mattered to them if they matched, just if they worked. Just put some Naval Jelly (Or soak in vinegar) on it and then throw some cold blue on it.
Thanks for the help! Does the finish on the floor plate indicate a rebuild and/or a parts build?

When you say "them" do you mean Mossberg? I thought Mossberg finished all US rifles in bluing...
Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 PM

Yes, Mossberg did blue them but if they were repaired or rebuilt by the military some of them were parkerized. Some of the 44US sold by the CMP were in virtually new condition and some were used on a regular basis for many years. I took my Hunter's Safety Course with a 44US at the local armory in 1972 and believe me, those guns were used alot!

Over the years, parts get switched. Take them apart, put parts in bin, inspect and repair, reassemble.