Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy69 View Post
The post with the report says "mounts numbered to the gun".......
I think poster "Shrevy" may have the nomenclature wrong. Shrevy, are you talking about the slide being numbered? Most folks refer to this as the mount and now I'm confused because I didn't think these were coming with slide, support or clamps............just the bracket on the rifle and I don't think the brackets were numbered. Maybe early original C's had the brackets numbered? Clarify for us Shrevy please. I can't figure out were there would be room on the bracket to put a number.

Last edited by tazaroo; 03-16-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 PM

Both the Mounts/brackets were originally numbered to the guns when first produced. So it is possible that a few correctly numbered bracket guns made it to the floor. The guns only have brackets on them. Also some G&H brackets have been seen without serial numbers stamped in them as they were surplus. The brackets are stamped on the side where the screws/pins are. The Mounts are stamped on the inside of the mount base when you look at it across the bolt.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazaroo View Post
...Now can you explain why you passed up a M1C for 3k with the original barrel? Did you check ME/TE on these?
Simple answer to that question - I didn't have $3k to drop. I got there very late today (2 PM) passing through on the way to Atlanta. I didn't know the M1C's were being released today. I heard that no more than 3 or 4 left the store today. They looked very nice and the only one I looked at closely had a bracket with a matching number. The ME/TE were on the tags. Don't recall what they were specifically but they seemed to be 1's and 2's. The people that were there were drooling over them like I was, but the consensus was that they were too pricey, particularly when you consider what you will drop to find a G&H mount and an Alaskan or M81/M82 scope. Not complaining. It's just not affordable for me. For those that can swing it, enjoy.

Last edited by garand871; 03-16-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garand871 View Post
Simple answer to that question - I didn't have $3k to drop. I got there very late today (2 PM) passing through on the way to Atlanta. I didn't know the M1C's were being released today. I heard that no more than 3 or 4 left the store today. They looked very nice and the only one I looked at closely had a base with a matching number. The ME/TE were on the tags. Don't recall what they were specifically but they seemed to be 1's and 2's. The people that were there were drooling over them like I was, but the consensus was that they were too pricey, particularly when you consider what you will drop to find a G&H mount and an Alaskan or M81/M82 scope. Not complaining. It's just not affordable for me. For those that can swing it, enjoy.
I was quoting "Shrevy". A M1C with the original barrel with low ME/TE's and a matching bracket for 3K is an incredible price. I would have maxed out my card. While finding a G&H mount will be a PITA it would be oh so worth it in the long run IMHO.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM

I would of bought it! Maybe if still there on Sat! ;-)
Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 PM

Sorry, I said "mounts" when I should have said "brackets." The two that were numbered had 1950s dated barrels. The two 1945 dated barrels did not having matching numbers. I don't believe the brackets on those two were numbered at all. I didn't think about the rifles being sent to G&H. I was thinking the plus or minus 1-2 months would be original. Oh well. I guess I still would have passed. I did look at them several times though. The ME/TE were on the tags and all gauged well.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 PM

Near the end of my visit, a customer brought in his complete M1C to compare against the CMP versions and to show Leon. It was quite nice. Complete with scope, cheekpad and NFR stock. I was waiting for him to set it in the racks so I could grab it and take it to the counter
Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrevy View Post
Sorry, I said "mounts" when I should have said "brackets." The two that were numbered had 1950s dated barrels. The two 1945 dated barrels did not having matching numbers. I don't believe the brackets on those two were numbered at all. I didn't think about the rifles being sent to G&H. I was thinking the plus or minus 1-2 months would be original. Oh well. I guess I still would have passed. I did look at them several times though. The ME/TE were on the tags and all gauged well.
I was giving you the business about the terminology.................hence the "winking eye" icon.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 PM

This is what Orest said..
"In the rifles we inspected, about two dozen had bases numbered identical to the receiver. These rifles were transferred to our auction program and will be auctioned over the next year.

The rifles in item RM1CSB may or may not have any serial numbers on the bases, but the numbers will not match the serial number of the rifle. We did not sort these rifles by whether or not there were numbers on the bases."

The bases (brackets) were numbered by G&H when installed, replacments may not have been and the greeks managed to put them on without matching.. They are close, but G&H thought they should stay together..

The mounts (holds the scope) were numbered too, these were mixed in US hands often.. Very rare to find a legit M1C all matching numbers. Hence my hesitation to buy one of these.

IF there is one or more on the floor with the base numbered to the gun I would buy it.. It is a deal and if there are only a few like that and they are auctioned they will bring $$$..
Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 PM

I know someone on this thread will eventually talk me into one. That's the problem with addicts all meeting in one place...I'm still trying to gain knowledge on the M1Cs. I've never regretted any of my CMP purchases, but I like to know what I am buying espcially for $3,000. If these last for a little while, I'm sure I will talk myself into one. 1,800 rifles seems like they might last a little while at $3k.

I saw the winking eye, tazaroo. I just wanted to clear up any confusion my post created.