Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 05:37 PM

I thought that the M1C rifles were supposed to have had barrels dated from 5-44 to 12-44? Also, did any have lock bar sights and uncut op rods? Yes, I may be just dreaming but then again it is $3000 so a guy could only dream.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM

None had lockbar sights. I did not break any down so cannot say if any had uncut op rods.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 AM

(I got into trouble in the Carbine section for saying the M1A1 paratrooper carbines may not be worth what people were paying for them with postwar stocks, repairs, mixmasters etc. The CMP certificate doesn't change the condition of the gun. Might as well comment on the M1C's)...For $3K I want a gun that is 100% right for the serial number. If it's a rebarrel from the early 50's program I'd pass. If I bought it and then had to go find the correct sight ($), uncut oprod ($$), correct stock in good condition($$$) you're probably just better off finding one that is already correct and paying for it. The euphoria of buying it now in the heat of the moment may be lost in a few years when someone points out all the things that are incorrect on it...I know of a local dealer who looked at someones M1D purchase and pointed out everything was pretty much wrong on it. It was a "D", with a CMP certificate, but that was about it.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM

What would be wrong on an M1D as they were rebuilt in the first place (Kind of like Frankenstein out of available spare parts) in arsenals and in the field? I can understand the M1C as they were manufactured a certain way in a certain serial block, but certainly not an M1D. Actually, it seems there is play in the M1C's as well as some were built early and some later? Probably all Springfield, but parts/stocks out of serial# blocks? Sounds to me the dealer was trying to get a "good" deal?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 AM

The difference with C's is you can make them correct. D's were built based on what they grabbed from the parts bin. You can never make a D correct but the CMP certificate certifies it was built by the military and not an individual. Yes an original correct C will bring more of a premium but a C will always pull more than a D due to the limited production of them. Some C's were rebuilt in the 50's but they are still a rare gem. My C has a 60's barrel on it! The hard part is finding the original numbered bracket/mount to the rifle.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 AM

What is harder to find a M1C with original WWII barrel or one with a bracket numbered to the rifle? I know it would be best if there was a M1C with original WWII barrel and a correct numbered bracket, but I did not see any like that on Wed.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 AM

I would agree. The only thing I can think of that would not be "right" on a CMP M1D would be the stock (if one were looking for an RA P open box - but many D's never had one) and the finish (if one happned to have a black Greek parkerized gun).

They all have the right barrel and everything else is right. I bet it was either a dealer that wanted to get the gun for a steal, or he didn't know enough about M1D's - ie, looking for a 555 marking on the side of the barrel and assumed it was fake when it wasn't there - but it was an early to mid '52 barrel and that marking is under the handguard.

I do have the same opinon on the M1C's though. If I am able to somehow get the $$ together I will only spend it on one with it's original wartime barrel and original finish.

Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardog View Post
What would be wrong on an M1D as they were rebuilt in the first place (Kind of like Frankenstein out of available spare parts) in arsenals and in the field? I can understand the M1C as they were manufactured a certain way in a certain serial block, but certainly not an M1D. Actually, it seems there is play in the M1C's as well as some were built early and some later? Probably all Springfield, but parts/stocks out of serial# blocks? Sounds to me the dealer was trying to get a "good" deal?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Finding a C with original bracket is harder than barrel. A barrel can always be changed to a correct one if need be. My C needs a new barrel and I haven't decided what to put on it? 44 barrel,NIW 51 barrel or a 60's barrel.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Finding a rifle with a bracket serialized to it is going to be a task as I am told that the receivers were sent to G&H to get brackets and mounts then when they came back they were heat treated. The brackets then got mixed up after the heat treating process. Also, some of the brackets were not numbered at all. As for the barrels, Harrison says 5-44 to 12-44 and Duff says originals had 4-45. Also, if you are considering an M1C then I would probably go with the CMP and stay away from other resources as the probablility of getting a fake outside of CMP is very high. The military made 8000 M1C rifles and then 29,000 surplus mounts were sold off making it highly likely that there are a few homemade M1C rifles.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 AM

The USMC didn't keep the brackets serialized on their rifles when they were rebuilt. So thats not an issue if you go that route....