Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 PM

Default Ammo brand comparison

For .30 Carbine FMJ ammunition, how do you rank the quality of the following brands? What do you like or dislike about each brand?

Donít consider the price, just the quality of features like consistent ignition, accuracy / consistent velocity, higher velocity, clean burning, consistent size dimensions, quality of brass for reloading, anything else you consider important.

Iíd appreciate hearing your thoughts as you probably have much more experience and knowledge. Here are brands I have used, in my order of preference.

Remington UMC

Sellier & Bellot

Prvi Partizan

Aquila

Magtech
Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 PM

If price is no object (it is for me), I'll take a few spam cans of LC on strippers in bandos.
I have shot all the brands you listed except Aguila. I would rank the top three on the same level, and price would be the determining factor.
Magtech shot well for me, but I had some primers fall out, maybe three in 50...one fell between the breech and bolt, preventing it from going into battery. I won't be buying Magtech again.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:23 PM

I have shot Lots of remington, including the Soft Points. Good stuff. Same with WCC white box FMJ and Winchester 110 JHP (Killed black tail deer with it), and lastly Sellier and Bellot. S&B is my favorite now, that's what I shot the great group with. I have shot wolf, it is dirty and poor accuracy, but OK to plink. Aguilla SUCKS! I had short stokes, light loads, and generally underpowered at 200 FPS less than LC>

I forgot to mention Magtech. It is the only one I have found as hot as Lake City. I had no problems with it, but only shot a couple boxes.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:09 AM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. That's helpful.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 AM

I've shot a bunch of Aguilla in all 9 of my carbines, have yet to see bad groups, dirty action ( any more so than the other brands ) and all the other bad things I've read in this forum. I've shot and have a good bit of Remington rounds in all 9, plus the reloads a friend of mine gave me with the Underwood I bought from him years ago and never have had a problem. Plus, I've got 2 cases CMP owes me !!! One all the way back to 5/21!

One question I do have for you guys, how many of you have fired soft points without feed problems? I've tried with almost all the "9" and all but one, Underwood feed and shot them without a problem. How many have tried SP ammo? I know the rifle was not set up as a hunter but nice to know mine will.
J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 AM

My Underwood fed RP soft points flawlessly, even from USGI 30 round magazines. I haven't tried them in my Inland tey
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Of the 5 you list, I have only used the S&B and find it very reliable and accurate. If price is no object, Georgia Arms Canned Heat is also an excellant carbine load.

All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM

I've shot all but Magtech (and won't).. IMO of the commercial 30 Carbine ammo I rate them as S & B, Prvi P, Aguila and Rem UMC in that order. I have had no problem with any of these in any of my carbines. Best I've shot is LC 72 and when I have time for it reloads.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM

Anyone shot Federal American Eagle 30 carbine? I've ordered some, still waiting to come in.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 AM

I had some of the AE and UMC on order (since July), but all my S&B orders came in from the last couple of months, so I finally canceled the AE and UMC orders... They just kept moving out since their original Aug delivery dates.

I've been shooting magtech 38, 357, and 45, with no problems.
But haven't tried their 30 carbine.
But would based on the others working just well, like any other 1st rate ammo.

The only other 30 carbine I've shot, is LC, and my POI is basically within the group size for either LC of S&B... I basically can't see a POI difference off hand. I was shooting both outdoor at 50 yds. I like the smell of the LC better ;0