Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Springfield M2 question

Hi everyone,

I ran across a Springfield M2 .22 with a barrel date of 6-42 and SN 183XX. The stock is an M1 type with no grasping grooves and shotgun-style buttplate, and is in excellent condition. The parkerizing on the barrel and receiver is black, not the typical grey-green. Looking it over, there is a little wear of the parking at the muzzle, and none elsewhere. The front band is grey-green, as is the front sight. Most M2s that I see are grey-green. The Lyman rear sight has very little wear, but has a couple spots of light rust here and there. Screw slots throughout are perfect, so it doesn't look like its been taken apart for re-parking. But the black is a bit of a mystery. Stock has a couple light handling marks, but that is it.

Anyone ever see an M2 with black parkerizing? I'm trying to figure out if the finish is original. I would suspect if it was reparked, the front sight and front band would also be re-parked to match.

Thoughts?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 AM

That is a very high serial number for an M2,serial number 12,328 was barrel dated 1-42 and most production figures for rifles after July of 1942 are absent from most reference works.The M2 I have is finished in the black color parkerizing although quite a bit earlier in manufacture having a barrel date of 11-34.The gray-green color is assumed to be from the application of cosmoline and oil over the years causing the original black color to turn green.The stock you are describing is the "sales"stock,the one with grasping grooves and the 03 type buttplate is the "issue"stock.The sales models were generally drilled and tapped for a target scope mount,is the rifle you are looking at done that way?At that period in time arsenal production was devoted enrirely to M1 rifle production so it would not surprise me if wartime barrel dated rifles were assembled from whatever parts were on hand accounting for the differences in the finishes.Information on these rifles is pretty scarce,especially the late ones.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:31 PM

Thanks Krag-30-40. Although the stock is a sales stock, the barrel is not drilled and tapped for a scope. I'm thinking these late-production guns were assembled with parts on hand; they had a sales stock, so they used it. Or it could have been rebuilt after the war and sold through the DCM. I'm trying to contact the original owner (well, the original owner's son) who may have the DCM paperwork. However, you are absolutely correct - information on these outstanding rifles is scarce!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 PM

Years ago an old collector long since gone told me these rifles,if in original unrefinished condition,will have the interior of the receiver where the bolt slides in the white with no parkerizing present.The rifle I have is not that way and has no rebuild stamps present.The stock has not been sanded and is stamped M2 on the pistol grip.FWIW
Old 10-30-2009, 12:02 PM

I have M2 serial# 17,3xx. First I heard of one, personally that was higher....Mine is the non-drilled & tapped "issue" version..

Enjoy..

218bee
Old 10-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm01s View Post
Hi everyone,

I ran across a Springfield M2 .22 with a barrel date of 6-42 and SN 183XX. The stock is an M1 type with no grasping grooves and shotgun-style buttplate, and is in excellent condition. The parkerizing on the barrel and receiver is black, not the typical grey-green. Looking it over, there is a little wear of the parking at the muzzle, and none elsewhere. The front band is grey-green, as is the front sight. Most M2s that I see are grey-green. The Lyman rear sight has very little wear, but has a couple spots of light rust here and there. Screw slots throughout are perfect, so it doesn't look like its been taken apart for re-parking. But the black is a bit of a mystery. Stock has a couple light handling marks, but that is it.

Anyone ever see an M2 with black parkerizing? I'm trying to figure out if the finish is original. I would suspect if it was reparked, the front sight and front band would also be re-parked to match.

Thoughts?
DSM - As Krag 30 said: check the inside of the receiver, particularily the bolt rails. If any parking is present then its a repark. Should be in the white.
Rob
Old 10-30-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
I have M2 serial# 17,3xx. First I heard of one, personally that was higher....Mine is the non-drilled & tapped "issue" version..

Enjoy..

218bee
If you would,what's your barrel date?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:15 PM

Parkerizing is on the bolt rails, so must be a repark at some point of its life. Its a fine looking rifle, though.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Banned

I've got a M1922M1 in original, as sold thru the NRA condition, NOT converted to M2. It has the "Shotgun" butt and IS d&t'ed for scope mounts. It sports a Unertl 10x. I'll post pics when I get a chance. The receiver and barrel and all furniture are black carburized, not park'ed. Receiver rails are in the white IIRC as is the bolt.

Last edited by musketjon; 11-05-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
I've got a M1922M1 in original, as sold thru the NRA condition, NOT converted to M2. It has the "Shotgun" butt and IS d&t'ed for scope mounts. It sports a Unertl 10x. I'll post pics when I get a chance. The receiver and barrel and all furniture are black carburized, not park'ed. Receiver rails are in the white IIRC as is the bolt.
Actually, it's NOT the rails that should be in the white, but the trough that the bolt reciprocates in that should be white. --Jim