Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM

Default North Store Report 9/26/12

I was lucky enough to have another customer meeting up by Fremont this morning, and of course, I had to go by the North Store on the way home.

The selection was very similar to that which I described in my 9/19/12 report - Service Grades in new wood (mostly), lots of Field Grades, and the remainder of the stock looked to be unchanged from last week. About half of the Field Grade rack looked to be new inventory compared to last week, and there were some good rifles to be had, with low readings and decent or better wood. I only saw a couple of FGs with WWII barrels, and they were well used.

The Service Grade rack was mostly full. Half of those rifles had CMP walnut, and the rest were in USGI wood of various types - a couple of birch stocks, two or three Danish beech stocks, and GI walnut.

The long rack near the counter was chock full of Specials in new wood, and some of these would be really gorgeous after a year or two of raw linseed oil oxidizing in them. The M1C Service Grade rack is full of beautiful rifles, but the're still $3,000, so I only gave them a quick glance.

I told the crew that I'd see them next year, but I always say that, and they never believe me.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Thanks Radionicist, was going to make the trip this morning but talked myself out of it and since I only have 1 purchase left for the year and am trying to save it till the IHCs arrive. You mentioned Service Grades was there both SA and HRA there? If so was there an equal amount of both?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
You mentioned Service Grades was there both SA and HRA there? If so was there an equal amount of both?
I think the SG rack was pretty much half and half, though the Springfields mostly were in CMP wlanut and the HRA in GI wood. Many of the Springfields had National Match bits - barrels and op-rods, mostly.

I often see "locals" at the North Store, meaning guys from Ohio or Michigan. However, I chatted with a gentleman from Virginia this morning, and saw Tennessee and Utah license plates on vehicles in the parking lot. Garand buyers know how to find Mecca, it seems.

Last edited by Radionicist; 09-26-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
I think the SG rack was pretty much half and half, though the Springfields mostly were in CMP wlanut and the HRA in GI wood. Many of the Springfields had National Match bits - barrels and op-rods, mostly.

I often see "locals" at the North Store, meaning guys from Ohio or Michigan. However, I chatted with a gentleman from Virginia this morning, and saw Tennessee and Utah license plates on vehicles in the parking lot. Garand buyers know how to find Mecca, it seems.
Enjoying talking with you this morning and appreciate your help and comments
Take care
Richie
Virginia
Old 09-26-2012, 04:29 PM

I almost stopped there this afternoon as I was 42 miles east of there. Not looking for anything in particular though, so I figured I'd wait until I had more time; I wouldn't have gotten there until maybe 3pm.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 PM

Thanks Radionicist for the report. I think that customer requires weekly visits. Would you apply raw linseed oil over the existing CMP finish? I've been using RLO on two stocks I steamed. They are looking great.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-3-6 View Post
Would you apply raw linseed oil over the existing CMP finish? I've been using RLO on two stocks I steamed. They are looking great.
I would. I typically use Tung oil on vintage or USGI wood, but the CMP walnut would deliver a nice reddish color without staining after oiling with RLO (after a year or two, of course).
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 PM

I was there after lunch today so i'll add a few things:

There were about 10 rack grade WRAs and maybe 20 field grade WRAs... a Dec. '41 field grade with a well worn patina came home with me.

Also 20 or so barrelled/bolted receivers...i found a 5-digit that now has a new home.

There were 2 or 3 ceremonal 1917s, all chrome.

Maybe 30 or so drill rifles.

I think i looked at every USGI stock on the rack and field grades but not a WWII cartouche to be found.

Also picked up a few of the $5 leather slings.

As always the guys and gals behind the counters were friendly and helpful.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1afli View Post
I was there after lunch today so i'll add a few things:

There were about 10 rack grade WRAs and maybe 20 field grade WRAs... a Dec. '41 field grade with a well worn patina came home with me.

Also 20 or so barrelled/bolted receivers...i found a 5-digit that now has a new home.

There were 2 or 3 ceremonal 1917s, all chrome.

Maybe 30 or so drill rifles.

I think i looked at every USGI stock on the rack and field grades but not a WWII cartouche to be found.

Also picked up a few of the $5 leather slings.

As always the guys and gals behind the counters were friendly and helpful.
Just wondering if your 12/41 WRA is anywhere close to my serial number:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=67050
1241xx
Nice find in the WRA racks, wouldn't mind seeing pictures.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2Chief1947 View Post
Enjoying talking with you this morning and appreciate your help and comments
Take care
Richie
Virginia
It was my pleasure, and I'm glad you got what you were looking for. A few hours at the North Store sure beats a few hours working, doesn't it?