Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 08:47 PM

So they are in the store?

Gen George S. Patton
Old 10-13-2012, 03:34 PM

I saw both sleeved and non-sleeved this morning
Old 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM

How many 7.62 br's were there today? Going on Wednesday to pick a couple out. Just trying to get a feel for the selection that will be there next week.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikwilli420 View Post
How many 7.62 br's were there today? Going on Wednesday to pick a couple out. Just trying to get a feel for the selection that will be there next week.
I think there were at least 6 of each. maybe a dozen of each. I think you should be OK
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM

I did pick up a mod1 BR today. No regrets. Both MW and TE less than 1. Dropped a NOS bolt in it when I got home, and it headspaced fine for 7.62 NATO. Op rod fits nicely in the receiver. Nice rifling, shiny bore and chamber, good crown. No rust. 1.56 Mil SA receiver.

It was very dirty and nasty looking as it sat on the rack. Glad I looked past that.

The most MW I measured on any of the Mod1 BR's on the rack was a solid 2, using the CMP's gage.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsteve View Post
10 guys will give you 10 different takes on 7.62 vs .308.Heres mine.Its a pressure difference,about 46,000psi for the 7.62,and about 55-60,000 psi for the .308 sporting round.In a modern bolt action it wouldnt matter.In a gas rifle it might.Ive shot lots of .308 in my M14,but its gas system is different than a M1.I think I would either hand load to 7.62 specs,or try a adjustable gas plug so the rifle gets just enough pressure to operate.I worry about that long op rod,and its ability to be bent.
The pressure difference is not true. It is a myth. The Europeans measured pressure differently than the Americans. Also, demensionally the two rounds are identical. The difference is the brass. 7.62 Nato is heavier brass, so you must down load the pressure because of less internal space in the case. Now. The differences in the rifles chambers are very real. 7.62 Nato chambers are longer than .308 Win. I have speculated (I have not tried this) that due to the thiner brass and the longer chamber, the reloader would get less reloads out of .308 brass as compared to 7.62 NATO. That is ONLY an educated guess on my part. I have actually had a case head separation on the third loading with 7.62 NATO brass, but I think it was because I was over working the brass.
--UUU---(iii)---UUU--