Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM

Default NS Report 10/19/2012

Since I called yesterday and Bob said Kimbers would be available, I decided to make the trek north. Arrived at the NS around 9:00 am (FYI, if you are coming from the south US 6/SR53 is still under construction south of Fremont with only one lane of traffic). I was surprised that the store was virtually empty, in fact I shared my entire time there with only 2 other patrons. True to Bob's word, there were plenty of the Kimber rifles.

Kimber 82G
There were a total of 48 rifles on the floor. Very nice rifles and a lot of the stocks seemed to have more figure than the prior offering. There were about 4 or 5 rifles where I could not find a razor mark anywhere on the stock. Many more where the cut was light and only visible with grazing light. Only one had a deep cut the full length of the stock. Metal was fine. I saw three that I was certain had freckling or other surface rust but the guys at the desk said that was actually the VCI compound oxidizing, not the bluing. I originally picked out two but went home with only one -- my first .22 target rifle.

Navy 7.62 B/R
Well picked over, there were only 7 mod 0's left, all SA. Faint heel marks and well worn metal held no interest for me.

WRA SG
Only 4 remaining in the rack. 1 USGI wood, 1 pumpkin and 2 CMP walnut stocks. Didn't look further.

Other Garands
My focus was on getting a Kimber so I didn't do as thorough a search through the Garands as I normally might have. HRAs are a personal interest so I did a good look at the service grades. Three 5.6M rifles had LMR barrels all gauging 2/2 or better. About 2/3 were in USGI post war wood, a mix of SA and both small and large DAS HRA. There were 2-3 excellent stocks with strong cartouches and light character marks. Several 4.7M rifles, with mostly correct parts except CMP walnut and occasional op rod. Quick look at the SA SGs. All appeared t be wearing CMP stocks. At least 2 NM marked barrels but I didn't notice similarly marked op-rods or gas cylinders. I just did a tag scan of the field grades. I didn't notice any barrel grading approaching SG standards so I didn't look any further for WWII barrels, cartouches or rare parts this trip. Checked the wood on all the drill rifles, but no gems. The barreled receiver/bolt combos were as nice as this past summer, all WWII serial numbers.

New to me
There were about a half dozen WWII ammo cans in the loose 30-06 pile. In addition to the tired .22 and Krag B/Rs there were about a dozen M1917 barreled receivers on the side wall for $100. Didn't do a manufacturers check to see if any were WRA. There were more MANN devices than usual and 3 1903 stripped receivers in the glass case. Rusty/crusty .30 cal ammo cans were available at $3/each. If your kids want a different Daisy, there was at least two with brightly painted stocks.

Good trip but a long one for just one rifle. Sorry I'm not a picture taker so no pix to share. I really wished I picked up one of the HRA/LMR rifles, but I'm sticking to my self imposed moratorium on additional Garands...for now.

Oh, BTW I got in and out so quickly, it was too early for lunch so no Jolly Roger's walleye this trip. Will likely have to wait until spring or the summer matches.

Last edited by TLB; 10-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:39 PM

Nice report. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:29 PM

When you say well worn on the navy's was that barrel or just finish? I'm trying to get one when I can walk but I wanted to hand pick. Or should I go mail order?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids4041 View Post
When you say well worn on the navy's was that barrel or just finish? I'm trying to get one when I can walk but I wanted to hand pick. Or should I go mail order?
I was mainly addressing the finish. I didn't gauge any of the barrels or check tags since they were mod 0 and I was interested in the mod 1s. I would guess since this is what is left they are probably the dregs of what the store received, but I can't say for sure.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM

I was at the store at 8:30 to look at the Navy BRs, especially the Mod 0s. I counted eight, and took one home. The muzzles on all gauged from about .5 to nearly 2. The throats gauged worse, but I believe that is due to the insert. Bores on all were very good to excellent - most were WWII barrels. I didn't see rust or pitting in any of the bores.

The finish on the BRs looks worn, but simply take an oily rag to them and they clean up great. There appears to be little wear; nothing wrong with them IMHO.

Agree about the HRAs - several with correct HRA wood, and the wood was very nice!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 PM

Ok thanks for the updates guys. I just want a navy don't matter what mod. It wouldn't get shoot a lot maybe 200 Rounds a year.