Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 AM

Red face I have an opportunity to purchase three

American mfg "Lugers." I am an avid gun collector and set up as a "private collector" almost every weekend here in Oklahoma. I think I have some sense of what one is in store for when you plunge into one of these "specialty" areas as I have owned some Garands and such. Thinking I will probably take the plunge anyhow! So, is one well advised to three totally unspectacular American mfg lugers at 400 per piece just to get ones feet wet and, if so, what does a total newbie to this area look for in the first few he will own? And, like many of you I am guessing, I have rarely owned just a few of anything I have collected over the years (classic cars, motorcycles, guitars, etc.)

Make it so, number one(s)........................
Old 03-04-2010, 12:29 AM

Welcome sir. If you're still looking for an answer I suggest posting this in the Ask Each Other Forum
Old 03-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Are they worth four hundred dollars each? As in collecting anything else, much depends on condition, rarity, and knowing what the particular specimen is worth. If you are just interested in trying to turn a buck at the gun shows then no matter what it is eventually you will find someone that is clue less and offer you more than they are worth. If you are going to become heavily involved in collecting Lugers then your first purchase should be several books on Lugers and the many variations of them. If the three pistols that you mentioned in your post are in good condition then you might buy them as shooters. If you are going in to it as a collector interested in collector grade Lugers, then I would look at something that would cause any knowledgeable Luger collector viewing it to say “Very nice condition, original, all matching and correct.” Lugers like that however, are going to cost a lot more that four hundred dollars a pop.

Welcome to the forum, how are things in Oklahoma

Last edited by Arcane; 03-04-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Couldn't agree more. A modest Luger will be priced well above 400 per. makes me thnk they were perhaps not legally acquired...

If you're interested in a .22LR Luger I've got a Stoger thats probably worth $400. A 9 mm Luger will be more!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:26 PM

"American-made Lugers?", never heard of such a thing. I can't even think of any American-made Luger clones.

If you know what they actually are, look 'em up on Gunbroker and see what they're going for.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
"American-made Lugers?", never heard of such a thing. I can't even think of any American-made Luger clones.
Yep,not that old either http://www.lugerforum.com/lugerinox.html
Can't see these being moneymaker collectibles,but,if there cheap enough.

These have never sold very well for the money.Luger collectors usually want a German made one.