Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2019, 06:24 AM

Wish I could find out who's initials these are on my US Navy marked victory. It came with the tanker style holster with loops sewn on to it for cartridges. Also have a box of 38 special tracer cartridges that I understand were issued for signaling purposes.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOhio View Post
One of the revolvers used in Ww2 was the s&w victory model. They are recognizable by being stamped either US Property, or US Navy. And both had a serial number prefix of V.

I think most us property marked .38 specials were used by security guards at defense plants, and the Navy marked revolvers went to Navy pilots.

The US Property marked guns are not that expensive.

The smaller 38 s&w caliber round was used in lend lease guns.
Years ago, I was at an auction, and no one was bidding on this old pistol, so I bid $50. and got it. It turned out to be a British Lend-lease .38 S&W, with an importer stamp. Years later I sold it... (one I wish I had back now). I was more recently at an auction, and bought an old nickeled S&W, it turns out to be a WWII Victory model that obviously had been 'nickeled' and the lanyard ring removed some time along the way... Yes, I still have this one...
Old 01-02-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutogunNY View Post
If memory serves me correctly, there is a story out there of 'MOH' recipient Maj. Joe Foss, firing his 1911 at a Jap plane after the guns in his Grumman 'Wildcat' had jammed... Maj. Foss was the highest scoring Ace in the Pacific, went on to be Brigadier General, (Air Nat'l Guard), twice Governor of S. Dakota, first Commissioner of the American Football League, TV host of 'American Outdoorsman' and 'American Sportsman', and president of the NRA.
I don't know about Foss but I have read about a Japanese plane that was shot down with a 1911 in the Burma/China theater.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:27 PM

An American pilot or bomber crewmember killed a Japanese fighter pilot with a head shot was he flew by. Japanese confirmed the hit and subsequent crash as well IIRC, they respected the American who did it too.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:46 PM

That's the one. Thanks.