Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2019, 09:41 AM

Default Brass Tag, CMP, 41

I have acquired a U.S. Robert Johnson model 1836 flintlock pistol. A small brass tag measuring aprox. .75 inches is affixed to the trigger guard through a hole at the top with a zip tie. The letters C.M.P. are stamped beneath the hole with the numerals 41 under the letters.
I have exhausted my resources directly with the firearm inquiring the significance of the tag. I am assuming it has nothing to do with the CMP I have been invested in for years but am not sure.
Could anyone give information as to the origin or purpose of the tag and if it has been correctly paired with this firearm. Thank you.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 AM

C.M.P.: Collections Management Policy
Possibly a pistol that was in a museum[?] collection, Item 41, and disposed of thru "deaccession."
Did the former owner give you any information as to how he had come across it?
Old 05-21-2019, 10:50 AM

It was a consignment. I will inquire once more to see if they will disclose if it was from a museum collection. All they provided was that the consignor provided NO information as to the meaning of the tag. I believe you are correct with your assessment. Thank you.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 AM

Hi Sir,

You might want to drop a E- mail to the Springfield Armory Museum.
(Springfield Mass.) They helped a pal sort out a rifle with a brass tag on it years ago. Please send a few good pictures too!

The NRA Museum (in Fairfax VA) was very helpful to me sorting out a Remington 7 mm Rolling block marking. They knew more then Remington in this case. They both may take a while to get back to you,

How about The Connecticut Mariner Police -- the Coast Guard & US Customs Department was just a dream back then!

Good Luck,
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 05-21-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:10 PM

There is also the possibility it was stolen from a US or other museum. A consignor would have a great advantage by divulging further provenance for his auction item but declined to do so.

Be careful what you're looking for.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:38 PM

I have heard back from the auction company with NO information or help.
Thank you BobJ50 and broomhandle for the solid advice. I believe you both have given me information helpful in understanding the tag.
R.T., well, there is always a chance things are not as they seem, but really? Where did that come from? Believe I would have thrown the tag in the trash if it were so.