Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingha View Post
Actually, you are incorrect. The CMP is in "business" for the following: "
The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a national organization dedicated to training and educating U. S. citizens in responsible uses of firearms and airguns through gun safety training, marksmanship training and competitions. The CMP is a federally chartered 501(c)(3) corporation that places its highest priority on serving youth through gun safety and marksmanship activities that encourage personal growth and build life skills".

Don't see gun sales on there.

Secondly
The only reason you buy 12 a year is that you are a profiteer. Plain and simple. Again that many per year is absurd.
when do I get my interest check then? those damned garands in my safes have never turned me a dime of profit
Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 AM

"We should catch up in a few months. We have stopped all print advertising."
From Orest, 26Jul13. No the end is not here. Yet.

Warehousing costs the CMP money. The sooner the rifles go, the sooner CMP gets money to run it's programs. It gets nothing from the Govt except surplus rifles. The rifle sales and donations fund the programs.
Yes, it does say in the paperwork you sign that the rifles are not for resale. If you constantly see a tableful of CMP Garands at a show, inform Orest privately. MAYBE they will look into it.
I've sold more that one to fund an upgrade purchase, usually from CMP. Unexpected bills are another reason. A table full of pricey Garands at a show is not a good reason.
Twelve is a good middle of the road purchase number. As was said, CMP is not a purchase and sale police. To do so would just take more personel away from opening orders, processing orders, etc. And our wait would be longer.
Finally before I'm done, I would think that most of the overpriced Garands go home with the seller. But I'm sure a few are bought by unknowing people.
I read on here of guys politely informing the potential buyer(after pulling him aside) about the CMP. And the rifles he is looking at. Usually no gun show sale results from that.
Both stores have business cards. Doesn't hurt to always have some in your wallet to give to interested people.
Eventually the Garands will run out. Then the money that CMP invested will keep them going. Maybe possible Garand gunsmithing and parts sales will help.
And there are probably more rifles and carbines still out there but we don't need to know about that till they hit the stores.

Last edited by bob moore; 07-28-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a national organization dedicated to training and educating U. S. citizens in responsible uses of firearms and airguns through gun safety training, marksmanship training and competitions. The CMP is a federally chartered 501(c)(3) corporation that places its highest priority on serving youth through gun safety and marksmanship activities that encourage personal growth and build life skills".

Secondly
The only reason you buy 12 a year is that you are a profiteer. Plain and simple. Again that many per year is absurd.
I buy 12 per year (more, actually, if you include the Navy B/R, stripped receivers, auction guns, and stuff from Gunbroker and local shows), and I've never even considered selling one. I restore them, enjoy them, and plan to pass them down to my kids. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 AM

I think more than one per lifetime is too much. Why do any of us need more than one?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Default An anecdote about the 12 Garand yearly limit.

I was chatting with Bob at the North Store a couple of years ago, and asked him if anyone ever came in and purchased the yearly limit of 12 M1s all at once. He said that the head of one of the firearms companies that come to the National Matches would visit the Store during the Matches and purchase 12 Correct Grades all at once.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 AM

If Garands ultimately end up in the hands of interested, willing and able buyers, what's the problem? Capitalism?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Default Saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman13 View Post
I was chatting with Bob at the North Store a couple of years ago, and asked him if anyone ever came in and purchased the yearly limit of 12 M1s all at once. He said that the head of one of the firearms companies that come to the National Matches would visit the Store during the Matches and purchase 12 Correct Grades all at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRdnec View Post
when do I get my interest check then? those damned garands in my safes have never turned me a dime of profit
We had a saying at our coin shop, "you don't make a profit or take a loss until you sell them"

Just curious do you have one that is your best shooter or do most of them shoot the same?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:35 AM

Default Too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob moore View Post
"We should catch up in a few months. We have stopped all print advertising."
From Orest, 26Jul13. No the end is not here. Yet.

Warehousing costs the CMP money. The sooner the rifles go, the sooner CMP gets money to run it's programs. It gets nothing from the Govt except surplus rifles. The rifle sales and donations fund the programs.
Yes, it does say in the paperwork you sign that the rifles are not for resale. If you constantly see a tableful of CMP Garands at a show, inform Orest privately. MAYBE they will look into it.
I've sold more that one to fund an upgrade purchase, usually from CMP. Unexpected bills are another reason. A table full of pricey Garands at a show is not a good reason.
Twelve is a good middle of the road purchase number. As was said, CMP is not a purchase and sale police. To do so would just take more personel away from opening orders, processing orders, etc. And our wait would be longer.
Finally before I'm done, I would think that most of the overpriced Garands go home with the seller. But I'm sure a few are bought by unknowing people.
I read on here of guys politely informing the potential buyer(after pulling him aside) about the CMP. And the rifles he is looking at. Usually no gun show sale results from that.
Both stores have business cards. Doesn't hurt to always have some in your wallet to give to interested people.
Eventually the Garands will run out. Then the money that CMP invested will keep them going. Maybe possible Garand gunsmithing and parts sales will help.
And there are probably more rifles and carbines still out there but we don't need to know about that till they hit the stores.
Too bad the CMP doesn't have access to all those .45's the government got rid of when they switched to the .9mm.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Secondly
Perhaps you should move to Cuba? North Korea? Buy your 12 before someone else does. As you pointed out what the CMP's mission is...it's also NOT to hold rifles in storage for you to buy when you get around to it. You believe in free enterprise or you do not.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryPatrick View Post
I think more than one per lifetime is too much. Why do any of us need more than one?
Because we want more than one?
How many things in your life do you have more than one of?
How many rounds of HXP am I allowed? One? Eight? Who shall we put in charge of doling everything out?