Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2015, 03:08 PM

Default New Member from South Carolina with a question on 1903A3

Hello Folks;
I'm VF from South Carolina, I'm a huge fan of the 1903A3 & M1 Garand, and of course the 1911 .45 ACP. The only one of these missing in my collection is the Garand, and one day I hope to have that as well.

I have a question for those of you who are technicians with the 30.06 caliber. I have a 1903A3 Reminton with a production date of 4/43, and it seems that a pretty good amount of it is original Remington parts. It also came with a 16" bayonette (dated 1943) but no scabbard. As far as I can tell the only incongruity is the middle band, which is more of the 1903 variety than the 03A3 type, which I will change out. I was using a round ( Lake City '68) to check muzzle wear and it measures about 5/32" and I can see traces of copper on the lands of the rifling's to within 2/32 of the end of the barrel. having shot it a number of times, it is still deadly accurate at 100 yds. in 5" circle, with a fairly tight grouping of 3-4".

I just wanted to ask you folks if the muzzle wear reading is pretty good, or is there any room for concern? I know there are many other factors, and I do want to get a gauge reading on both the muzzle and the head space, but wattaya think so far ?

Thanks,
VF
Old 09-28-2015, 03:30 PM

Many people on this forum will tell you that the "proof of the pudding is in the tasting." Even with a muzzle wear gauge the actual numbers are not definitive. The most important test is how it shoots. If you are happy with it's performance, that's what counts the most. I'm sure you will get additional opinions.

Regarding headspace, it is always a good practice to have it checked.

Welcome to the most knowledgeable 1903/1903A3 forum on the planet!

Last edited by Oldvetteman; 09-28-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:43 PM

To: Oldvetteman
Thanks for your reply as it is my first, so, thanks for going first. My 03-A3 really is my favorite, & I have had it for a while. I am very pleased with how it shoots, and the groupings at 100 yds. Now days , I'm looking at it's value as a GREAT collectible firearm. I'm quite pleased too with what I see out there, as in comparison to what I have. and with the Bayonet too!! That was a plus when I found it. It is still just "stock" as she may have come from the maker, I did some deeper research into the history of the rifle and although it shows 4/43, I found that deeper research indicates that it was manufactured in the second quarter of 1942 ( April - June), prior to it's stamped acceptance date of 4/43 { by serial Number} , as the research showed that the many of the 03-A4's were made in 1943. So it's kind of cool to find out the many aspects of the history of the rifle I have.
Oh if it could only talk........ that would be REALLY cool.