Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hquiles View Post
Thanks the explanation! It's a shame that fully functional rifles were destroyed...
Actually quite the opposite.
It's a unique part of history; they are allowing the vintage sniper competitions to be affordable to regular guys without drilling into an otherwise perfect receiver, and most are not destroyed. I have seen very few that could not be safely activated; clearly some are more work (now) than reasonable, but most just take some time and patience.

At the end of the war they put these to good use instead of destroying them.
Here's a thread about one I recently acquired.
I have maybe an hour or two in the grinding and dressing required; I can send mine off for a barrel whenever I get that lined up. The barrel is free and I have completed all the other work myself, easily.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=226660
JH
Old 05-07-2018, 07:39 PM

Well heck, why not. I just ordered another one. A friend told me he had a stockpile of new in wrap barrels, so I figured I might as well see if my luck holds out...
Old 05-08-2018, 03:41 PM

MountainBear

Please check your PM's

Thanks,
broom
Old 05-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Well, not near as lucky with $100 drill rifle #2. Big ol’ weld on the cutoff, weld that goes onto the top of the front ring of the receiver. On initial inspection, I thought the stock had a crack on the right side that was flexing open and therefor repairable. However, on disassembly, the stock came apart in two pieces. On the good side, it came with a fairly decent SC bottom metal. I’ll get the receiver ready, doubt I’ll try to do much with the stock other than use it to repair a duffel cut stock.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gbfvg1V
Old 05-15-2018, 07:47 PM
Banned

Dang not much meat on that bone ! One big weld also on that cut off wish you good luck with that one .
Old 05-16-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBear View Post
Well, not near as lucky with $100 drill rifle #2. Big ol’ weld on the cutoff, weld that goes onto the top of the front ring of the receiver. On initial inspection, I thought the stock had a crack on the right side that was flexing open and therefor repairable. However, on disassembly, the stock came apart in two pieces. On the good side, it came with a fairly decent SC bottom metal. I’ll get the receiver ready, doubt I’ll try to do much with the stock other than use it to repair a duffel cut stock.
I had one like that(receiver),it ended up coming out nice in the end.With a weld like that,you'll just have a lot more work to do
Old 05-16-2018, 11:53 AM

I’m not as worried about the weld. I can fix that, even if I have to TIG a bit. I was, however, annoyed that the stock was not just cracked, but rather broken in half...
Old 05-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBear View Post
Iím not as worried about the weld. I can fix that, even if I have to TIG a bit. I was, however, annoyed that the stock was not just cracked, but rather broken in half...
Yeah,that is a real bummer.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:44 PM

Well got the stock cleaned up. I bought some driver bits to take the stock reinforcing bolt out but they don't fit. I will make one out of a screwdriver tomorrow. Then I will epoxy the stock up. I think I can save it. Still need a few small parts and a barrel.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:17 PM

I have 4 of these ordered, one order is "on hold" the other is "processing" anyone have any experience as to how long these take to ship? My friend down the road ordered 2 after I did and he got his already :/