Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2018, 10:09 PM

Hi Steve, Sign me up for a garand Tanker barrel in 6.5 swede....or a 24 inch length....If you have either one laying around....regards....alex
Old 04-07-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-7 View Post
Hi Steve, Sign me up for a garand Tanker barrel in 6.5 swede....or a 24 inch length....If you have either one laying around....regards....alex
Hey Alex,

Iím glad youíre interested in the Nordic Garand project. I think it will make a sweet conversion! Here are some pictures I took when experimenting with the clips. Read the captions for a detailed description.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RuBQQ

Iím going to have to get through my Ljungman build project first to free up the time and money to do the Garand barrels. Fortunately the project is already underway. I got the Hakim actions and the parts kits and am working on cleaning, degreasing and assembling them while my machinist makes the reproduction stocks and magazines.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tD2nB

Things should move quickly on these Garand conversions once I get done building the Ljungman clones.

Best,

Steve
Old 04-07-2018, 11:53 PM

A few years ago Tim Shufflin was asked about building a 6.5 Swede Garand. He refused. It might be worthwhile contacting him to get his input. shuffsparkerizing.com
Old 04-08-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9905 View Post
A few years ago Tim Shufflin was asked about building a 6.5 Swede Garand. He refused. It might be worthwhile contacting him to get his input. shuffsparkerizing.com
Thank you for the note.

I really respect Tim. Heís a an excellent gunsmith and a good man. The first Garand gunsmithing project I did was converting a beautiful Mini-G that he revived from a pile of junker parts into the Mini-59 that I showed in the link above. Hereís the Mini-G as received from Tim and the Mini-59 as a work-in-progress when I was still working on my kitchen table and just starting to learn about wood work. You could say that one of Timís builds is what got me started on this path!

https://imgur.com/gallery/3DAPO
https://imgur.com/gallery/VWrvr

So anyway, Iím trying to go about my business without stepping on Timís toes in terms of the exact products and services we each offer. Having said that, there will be some level of overlap, so out of respect to Tim I plan to do my own R&D on this. Hopefully I donít come to the same conclusion he did! Worst case Iíll at least make 260 Rem conversions, as that matches the theme of my planned product offerings.

Best,

Steve
Old 04-08-2018, 06:19 AM

Hi Steve, thanks for sharing....You have a lot on your plate....If I am following correctly, for the M1 garand barrel project, you procure a barrel in 260 Remington, then take a 6.5 barrel reamer to it, and your done?....thanks...again....regards....alex
Old 04-08-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Thank you for the note.

I really respect Tim. Heís a an excellent gunsmith and a good man. The first Garand gunsmithing project I did was converting a beautiful Mini-G that he revived from a pile of junker parts into the Mini-59 that I showed in the link above. Hereís the Mini-G as received from Tim and the Mini-59 as a work-in-progress when I was still working on my kitchen table and just starting to learn about wood work. You could say that one of Timís builds is what got me started on this path!

https://imgur.com/gallery/3DAPO
https://imgur.com/gallery/VWrvr

So anyway, Iím trying to go about my business without stepping on Timís toes in terms of the exact products and services we each offer. Having said that, there will be some level of overlap, so out of respect to Tim I plan to do my own R&D on this. Hopefully I donít come to the same conclusion he did! Worst case Iíll at least make 260 Rem conversions, as that matches the theme of my planned product offerings.

Best,

Steve
Nice work on the stock. I notice it doesn't have a winter trigger which I really don't want on mine. I'd like one in .270Win to go with the .270Win 1903A3 I have.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-7 View Post
Hi Steve, thanks for sharing....You have a lot on your plate....If I am following correctly, for the M1 garand barrel project, you procure a barrel in 260 Remington, then take a 6.5 barrel reamer to it, and your done?....thanks...again....regards....alex
Hey Alex,

Something like that. Hopefully thereís enough interest that I can get both flavors short-chambered directly from the maker. If thereís not enough interest then Iíll just order 260 Rems and ream up to 6.5 Swede on request. Iíll do a build in the next few months to make sure everything else works, but Iím pretty certain it will. However an adjustable gas plug will be a must.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
Nice work on the stock. I notice it doesn't have a winter trigger which I really don't want on mine. I'd like one in .270Win to go with the .270Win 1903A3 I have.
Thank you! Yeah, I think the original BM59 stocks are all cut for the winter trigger. We can probably offer other bores down the line. For now weíre just gonna go with the .264s till I can figure out the nuts and bolts of the operation.

Steve

Last edited by Big_Red; 04-10-2018 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 04-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Hi Steve, thank you for your consideration....regards...alex
Old 04-09-2018, 03:08 PM

Hey guys,

I talked to Criterion and they're open to making a custom production run for me! However, the minimum order is somewhat sizable, so I'm going to have to run the numbers on this proposal carefully.

I would have liked to order the barrels in some "lowest common denominator" chambering that I could ream up from, but it would be difficult to produce quality barrels that way due to the different tapers of these 6.5 cases. So I've decided that the best approach will be to just get them unchambered and chamber them to order.

I'm hoping they can make me a couple one-off custom barrels for prototyping prior to placing a full custom order.

Can't wait to get started building some prototypes!

Steve
Old 04-09-2018, 03:33 PM

Have you considered the 6,5/30-06 or as it became the 6,5-06 A-Square (no longer in business)

I used to load this many years ago and was excellent in bolt actions.

Tags
260 rem, 6.5 swede, 6.5x55, conversion, garand