Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 09:06 PM

Default Couple of questions about CMP 1911's to be auctioned

Ok, I don't remember seeing this question posted, and yes I did do a search. When does the CMP 1911 program plan on posting up 1911's for auction? I assume the auctions won't happen until sometime after October 5th so the random lottery numbers can be provided, or will it be open season for whoever is willing to "pay the piper" so to speak?

I seem to remember Mark saying that the winners of the auction would have to submit their order packet to CMP 1911 like anyone else trying to purchase a CMP 1911, but I don't remember him saying if the auction winners order packet had to be submitted in advance or not.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:12 PM

Default auction

It was posted a while back that if they have an auction it will be after the sell. If you are only going to bid on an auction pistol you don't have to send a packet unless you win the bid. If you submit a packet and get a low number you have to decided which you want can't have both.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBurn View Post
Ok, I don't remember seeing this question posted, and yes I did do a search. When does the CMP 1911 program plan on posting up 1911's for auction? I assume the auctions won't happen until sometime after October 5th so the random lottery numbers can be provided, or will it be open season for whoever is willing to "pay the piper" so to speak?

I seem to remember Mark saying that the winners of the auction would have to submit their order packet to CMP 1911 like anyone else trying to purchase a CMP 1911, but I don't remember him saying if the auction winners order packet had to be submitted in advance or not.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=233579
Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 AM

If you are going to bid on auction pistols then you do not have to submit a order packet until you win the bid.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 AM

So if you want to cut to the head of the line, bid for one at auction I guess.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipershot1944 View Post
So if you want to cut to the head of the line, bid for one at auction I guess.
Oh I have no desire to bid on one. Was just wanting to make sure how things were going to go down. I'll be watching the auctions just to see what they put up, but I have zero desire to pay what I would consider beyond a premium for one.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:25 PM

Why is that sniper????
Old 09-13-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipershot1944 View Post
Agreed, but I'd feel a lot better about things if the bidders have to get their paperwork in during the same time frame as us common folk.
They do. The winning bidder has to submit a completed and correct packet and pass the background check before the pistol is shipped.
The other side of the coin is this; if I end up with a relatively high number and I don't want to wait until a future allotment, I may be more inclined to bid on an auction.

Last edited by FLD; 09-13-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:15 AM

reply to cmp1911admin.

I guess I'm following two thought paths. Many of us have gone through a lot of trouble to "jump through the hoops" specified by CMP to get a correct package in on time during the very narrow 30-day window specified to be able to purchase one of these pistols using the lottery option. To allow the folks using the auction to submit their packages at any time, outside the 30-day window just seems unfair to me. It's like cutting the line for a movie or concert where there are limited seats.

Also, more importantly, it's a numbers game. CMP has about 8000 pistols now, and might get up to 100,000 over an 8-12 year basis. So you have a fixed number of pistols. With the use of the 30-day window to submit packages, you also then have a fixed number of people who can buy the pistols. If you allow packages to be submitted after the 30 day window for those who buy using the auction option, the number of people who are allowed to buy is no longer fixed, it's increased. At the end of the process, on a 1:1 basis, those allowed to submit their paperwork outside of the 30-day window will knock off one applicant who has waited patiently in line for months or year.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:38 AM

Isn't CMP1911 processing the 1911's received and making a determination of which pistols will be available for the lottery and which will be available to the auction site? If so, then there are two different universes of pistols available for purchase that are interconnected only by the paperwork requirements. If you submitted for a lottery pistol and end up purchasing an auction pistol, you lose your lottery standing. If you get a lottery pistol, you cannot get an auction pistol. That seems fair.

Conversely, the way I see it from your point of view, if all interested parties submitted now, then only those who submitted could either get a lottery pistol or bid on the auction and no one else. That keeps the universe of bidders as a fixed number. You need to remember that as these pistols are released from the Army to CMP, the process repeats itself. CMP will not know the quality of the items until received, and will now know quantities available for either lottery or auction until they have gone through them.

I have my lottery packet in. I love looking at the auction items, but unfortunately for me, I do not have enough disposable income to afford most of those items. I am almost certain it will that way for the 1911s as well.
Closed Thread