Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
Nice 1911!

Question though. I did not think 1911's, no matter how old, were transferable in Mass? If you have a C&R you're all set...can buy them all day long. If not, I think your gunsmith may have sold you a non-transferable pistol. I may be wrong. You see many Lugers and 1911a1's at shows that will say "sold only to C&R holders" for that reason.
It's my understanding that anyone with a Class A Large Capacity license can own one in Massachusetts providing it is "pre ban". I filled out all the proper paperwork and registered this one with the state. Four Seasons Firearms in Woburn usually has a couple for sale in their "used guns" section with no conditions. There is a M1911A1 listed for sale there now...$2099.99...Ouch!! Perhaps the ones for C&R holders were not in the state prior to the '94 date. I really doubt that Four Seasons or a gun smith would be risking their livelihood by selling an illegal firearm.
https://fsguns.com/used/

Last edited by Thirdcliff; 01-02-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdcliff View Post
It's my understanding that anyone with a Class A Large Capacity license can own one in Massachusetts providing it is "pre ban". I filled out all the proper paperwork and registered this one with the state. Four Seasons Firearms in Woburn usually has a couple for sale in their "used guns" section with no conditions. There is a M1911A1 listed for sale there now...$2099.99...Ouch!! Perhaps the ones for C&R holders were not in the state prior to the '94 date. I really doubt that Four Seasons or a gun smith would be risking their livelihood by selling an illegal firearm.
https://fsguns.com/used/
Interesting. I must have been completely mistaken then about purchasing a 1911A1 without a C&R.

What's your understanding then of why the CMP could not sell these to Mass. residents? I thought it was because it called for a 2nd background check from the FFL to purchaser, and since these were not Mass. approved, they could not therefore then be transferred?

I wonder if there is something about the pistols having been in the state pre-94 as opposed to having the CMP pistols now shipped from out of state from Anniston.

Glad you got yours!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
Interesting. I must have been completely mistaken then about purchasing a 1911A1 without a C&R.

What's your understanding then of why the CMP could not sell these to Mass. residents? I thought it was because it called for a 2nd background check from the FFL to purchaser, and since these were not Mass. approved, they could not therefore then be transferred?

I wonder if there is something about the pistols having been in the state pre-94 as opposed to having the CMP pistols now shipped from out of state from Anniston.

Glad you got yours!
I'm no expert on Massachusetts gun laws, but that's my understanding. You can't transfer guns that aren't on the "approved list" unless they were registered in state prior to a certain date...(sometime in '94 or '98?...not sure exactly). The 1911s CMP are offering were never registered in the state, and I believe that's the issue. Maybe someone with a better understanding will jump in here and clarify. I read somewhere a while back that a bill had been submitted to make an exception for antique military firearms, but with all the anti gun legislators, it went nowhere.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdcliff View Post
I'm no expert on Massachusetts gun laws, but that's my understanding. You can't transfer guns that aren't on the "approved list" unless they were registered in state prior to a certain date...(sometime in '94 or '98?...not sure exactly). The 1911s CMP are offering were never registered in the state, and I believe that's the issue. Maybe someone with a better understanding will jump in here and clarify. I read somewhere a while back that a bill had been submitted to make an exception for antique military firearms, but with all the anti gun legislators, it went nowhere.
Yes. That's it. The 1911's and Lugers and the shows with the "For Sale in Mass. with C&R only" are most likely out of state dealers. You can transfer a 1911A1 into Mass. with a C&R all day long. The CMP required a 2nd background check and transfer from an FFL to buyer which negated the C&R and then made them untransferable in Mass. That is my basic understanding.

That aside...I'm hoping to score a decent CMP 1911A1 on the secondary market at a price that's not absurd.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:06 PM

The so called "Drop Test" is used by the Imports Branch of the ATF to prevent certain pistols from being imported. Looks to me like the Mass. legislature found that and incorporated it to your regulations so your opportunity to buy pistols would be a bit more difficult; and keep evil firearms out of one of this nations most crime-free states[?].
Many years ago I found a large lot of British pistols in India, and on applying for the import permit, was informed that all of the pistols would need to be submitted to BATF/DC for the "Hammer Drop Test." At that time they would neither explain exactly how the test was to be performed, what the cost per pistol would be, why ALL of the pistols would need to be submitted, and of course I would not be allowed to observe. Even after pointing out that the pistols would have the safety stop [I personally inspected the pistols at the depot in Jabalpur-and had only those for release], would furnish a reasonable number of pistols, be willing to have BATF/Customs inspect the pistols on arrival, they stuck to their decision and I passed on the deal. I knew when the deck was stacked.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:55 AM

Interesting story, Bob. Yes, I'm sure the whole point of this exercise is to keep more guns out of the state.