Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2019, 09:40 AM

Default Father & Son Starting Service Rifle Matches

My 15 year old son and myself are getting ready to start service rifle competitions. Our only experience is taking the SAFS class at the CMP Talladega during the recent Talladega 600. I have shot a few Games Matches with M1, and we have both shot one M1 Carbine match.

He bought a cheap A4 rifle locally with a white oak service rifle barrel and free float tube, but it has a typical M4 type adjustable stock. Will this be ok for service rifle matches or does he need a solid A1 or A2 stock? If the adjustable is OK, how should the sling be attached? Should I start him off with a web sling or get a leather sling?

Should I try to find him a shooting coat or just use a sweat shirt?
Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 AM

That rifle is fine. Those stocks aren't the best, but it will get him going. It would be best to start looking for a coat.

A good way to start would be to contact your state highpower director and tell that person you two are starting. States will often have a lot of new shooter resources. Also, the other match forum. US rifle teams. Go there and post a WTB for a coat. It's really hard to buy the perfect coat brand new, sizing of them is tricky. A used coat for the first season would be just fine.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:36 AM

The A4 likely won't make weight for MMR Class A but it would be OK for the MMR Unlimited Class, as well as Service Rifle as long as it doesn't have some features that are not permitted.

Read the 2019 CMP Rules for Service Rifle & Games. The Games Rules are vague for other features like ambidextrous controls.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn1 View Post
The A4 likely won't make weight for MMR Class A but it would be OK for the MMR Unlimited Class, as well as Service Rifle as long as it doesn't have some features that are not permitted.

Read the 2019 CMP Rules for Service Rifle & Games. The Games Rules are vague for other features like ambidextrous controls.
Service Rifle Competition is not Modern Military games. Letís please try not to confuse new shooters any more than we have to.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 01-22-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadx3 View Post
My 15 year old son and myself are getting ready to start service rifle competitions. Our only experience is taking the SAFS class at the CMP Talladega during the recent Talladega 600. I have shot a few Games Matches with M1, and we have both shot one M1 Carbine match.

He bought a cheap A4 rifle locally with a white oak service rifle barrel and free float tube, but it has a typical M4 type adjustable stock. Will this be ok for service rifle matches or does he need a solid A1 or A2 stock? If the adjustable is OK, how should the sling be attached? Should I start him off with a web sling or get a leather sling?

Should I try to find him a shooting coat or just use a sweat shirt?
Before you start dropping a truckload of cash you have to ask yourself how likely he is to stick with it. If he is the type of kid that isnít distracted by the next new shiny thing then gear can be acquired over time. If you are shooting matches that have more than 1 relay you can generally get squadded together and share things like mats, spotting scope, glove (maybe) rifles etc. for a while.

Most adjustable stocks have a loop or hole for sling mounts. You can tie a loop of paracord through that to attach your sling to.

The web sling is easier to start with. Easier to get into and out of and easier to set and adjust. You can also adjust it in position if need be.

Coats can be pricy so you should really try to get one that fits well. Second hand is a few dollars cheaper but ideal fit is not going to be easy to find. When I got my Creedmoor hardback I went to the retail store. They had a bunch of coats on a rack. I tried on a few until I found one that fit well. If they donít have one in the size/color youíre looking for they can measure for it while youíre there. Just make sure there will be someone there who can do that before you just drop in.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:35 PM

At one of my HP matches last year I looked up and down the line to see 3 father/son pairs shooting together. They all said it was one of the few things they do together and they really enjoy participating together.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 01-22-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Service Rifle Competition is not Modern Military games. Let’s please try not to confuse new shooters any more than we have to.
#1 - Correct

#2 - I mentioned both (plus both Rule books) since some shooters may think that Service Rifle and MMR are similar since they use the same AR-type platform, albeit with different features.

Plus, in NRA-sanctioned matches a CMP MMR equivalent is labeled a Service Rifle by the NRA according to their terminology if the OP decides to shoot in one of those matches.

Last edited by Talyn1; 01-22-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 PM

The MMR stuff, whatever it is, should be filed under the other subforum that deals with it. Most shooters, when they say service rifle are referring to service rifle XTC in the context of the CMP and the NRA. These are not games matches.

OP, it would be a major error to worry about all of the MMR nonsense for a service rifle. Service rifles are designed for the game and designed to be accurate at 600 yards. This is quite a bit different than an AR that can hold the black, prone, on the short range target.

Here in the Northwest, I have never seen a sanctioned games match shot. When there are vintage/fun matches, the tone of the match is informal and nobody much cares about the games rulebook.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:59 PM

The Lewis-Clark Wildlife Club in Lapwai, ID is a CMP-affiliated club and follows CMP/MMR Rules for their matches. While a small club with small reduced-range matches they are not anywhere like formal sanctioned CMP Games, but the club, which I've belong to for 14 yrs, follows the rule book.

I've recused myself from winning JCG Garand matches there since I shot a rifle that had been worked on.

I understand your position now.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
At one of my HP matches last year I looked up and down the line to see 3 father/son pairs shooting together. They all said it was one of the few things they do together and they really enjoy participating together.
That's all what we want and hope for.