Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Filling out CMP paperwork without ordering

Can I fill out all the CMP paper work & get on file without placing an order? Also, I live in Virginia, can I legally receive a M1 Garand from CMP to my residence? Laws that I have looked at on this are not really definitive.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayej2156 View Post
Can I fill out all the CMP paper work & get on file without placing an order? Also, I live in Virginia, can I legally receive a M1 Garand from CMP to my residence? Laws that I have looked at on this are not really definitive.
From the CMP Sales FAQs as of 05/16/2019 (http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/sales-faq/):

Quote:
Q. Do I need to get preapproved or send paperwork in advance to purchase rifles from the CMP?

A. CMP has four requirements for purchase: age over 18, US citizenship, firearms related activity, and membership in a CMP affiliated organization. You can go to the eligibility requirements section of our website to see what is acceptable as proof of each requirement.

Although you can send all of this in advance of a mail order, we recommend that you wait and attach everything to the first order that you mail to us. In the case of a rifle order where you have to send all the paperwork anyway then providing all the qualifying documentation in advance only saves a couple of minutes in processing time once we actually do get your order.

You can fax or email documentation to us ahead of time if you want to purchase items through our eStore or if you want to get an account set up in anticipation of making a purchase at one of our stores.
I'm not sure what benefit you would gain from completing and submitting the CMP paperwork without actually ordering anything, because (among) other things you'll still have to submit a complete, notarized, "wet" signature order form the first time you order a rifle. (See also CMP's comments above.)

Regarding Virginia, there are no state laws in the Commonwealth prohibiting receiving a CMP rifle at your home, particularly if you follow CMP's procedures and you are legally authorized to purchase and possess firearms.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:20 PM

The reason I asked the question was that I presumed when I got ready to order, or/and have work done in the gun shop, that part would be taken care of & the process would be faster.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:38 PM

It's not going to be any faster. They go through the same process every time you order and your turn comes up.
There are a couple pages you need to fill out every time, others will stay in the system, but will not speed up the process.

My club affiliation expires every January 31st so I do send that in around the first of the year just in case there is a quick sale of something special that will go in a few hours.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:19 PM

There is a slight advantage of having the paperwork on file like estore ordering and having work done at the custom shop.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 05-19-2019, 09:07 PM

I'm sending a gun to them to be worked on, & have the paper work ready to send, & will prob be buying one from them in the next 90 days. It's not a problem to send them what ever they require. I'm sure the process gets more familiar the more you deal with them.