Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Default Picked up a Krag

I picked out one of the $200 Krags today from the NS. Looked at the two remaining, and picked out the one with original finish on receiver. The other one sported a blued receiver.

I compared it to the four $450 Krags, and there were two differences. One difference was the holes in the sideplate for the $450 Krags, which were drilled to hold the brass inserts for blanks. The $200 Krags did not have the sideplate holes or inserts. The other difference was the $450 Krags had a safety. The $200 Krags did not. No other differences noted. The $200 Krags were by far the better deal. Safeties can be had for less than $250.

No sights on the gun, but overall I'm happy. Bolt is in very nice shape, all screws had good slots, and other metal pieces were in good shape with no rust or pits. Stock was beat up, but sported nice tiger stripes under all the bruises. Bore was actually decent - mostly shiney and gauged a 2 at the muzzle.

Under all the ugly is a decent Krag for the $.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 PM

You found a Krag at the North Store??? Congratulations! Every time I've been there (about twice a year) all they've had were two or three really beat up, cut down barreled receivers for $150 each!

I don't understand the $400/$200 thing. Krag prices are listed on the sales page as $450 for MKRAGX and $350 for MKRAGY. What's up with this, Mike?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:11 AM

4/9/11 (11AM) Went back to north store to try to find one more Krag $200 salvage grade- And got the last of the $200 ones- There are still 4 or 5 $450 ones left- Doen't look like they sold any of the $450 ones since i was there last week? While there roughf-i couldn't pass on this one-I should now have enoghf parts to get one hafe decent looking one toghter? Things you buy when theres no Carbines? Roger