Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Default Backing up to a USB drive

I'm a geek, but not a computer geek, so go easy on me.

In order to back up to a USB memory flash drive plugged into my Computer and showing as the "J" drive, I get into NM Collector and click on "File", then click on "Backup Database", and the computer prompts me where to put the file so I put in "J:\" and it will do it?

I'm trying to figure out which file or folder in flash drive holds the data, to be sure the flash drive has the data. Many thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Thumbs up Backup Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
In order to back up to a USB memory flash drive plugged into my Computer and showing as the "J" drive, I get into NM Collector and click on "File", then click on "Backup Database", and the computer prompts me where to put the file so I put in "J:\" and it will do it?

I'm trying to figure out which file or folder in flash drive holds the data, to be sure the flash drive has the data. Many thanks in advance.

What you did will work for backup and recovery of your data. Using this approach you can recover your data from backup using File > Recover Database and then select the folder you saved the backup to (in your case "J:\"). There is no need to select a file name for two reasons:
  1. The data is stored in a sub-folder not a file name.
  2. NM Collector Software automatically creates the backup sub-folder when you backup and automatically finds the sub-folder when you recover.
Since you want to verify your backup, NM Collector Software saves your data to a file named "nmcswDB_backup."

Alternative Approach:

Since you are using a USB flash drive for backup, you might consider a different approach that will allow you to actually use that USB flash drive in any computer. That approach would be to copy the entire installation directory onto the usb flash drive. Then, to use the software on any computer, insert the flash drive into that computer, open up the folder that contains NM Collector Software, and double click the appropriate executable file for that computer.

If you want to use NM Collector Software on multiple operating systems be sure to download the USB version of the software (USB_Drive_Template.zip ) to the USB flash drive. All you need on your desktop is the appropriate version for your operating system. However, the USB flash drive can be used on other operating systems if you copy the USB version of the software to it. You can then copy your database folder (nmcswdb) from your desktop installation directory to the USB flash drive to bring your data over to the flash drive.

I know this can be confusing - particularly because there are so many options. That is why I started putting together "How To" Videos on my Support page. You might want to take a look at these to help with understanding what I descibed above:If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask. I really appreciate you asking on the forum rather than sending me a private email so others can learn from our discussion.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM

Regarding having backed up the data to the flash drive, I'd feel a lot more confident if I could see either the data, or see that as I added data to NM Collector that the number of bytes was going up in some file.

I actually also bought NM Collector je already on the drive. I will try to figure out how to download the data onto that drive also.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Thumbs up Copy your data to USB Flash Drive

Quote:
Regarding having backed up the data to the flash drive, I'd feel a lot more confident if I could see either the data, or see that as I added data to NM Collector that the number of bytes was going up in some file.
For the backup, you can watch the size of the "nmcswDB_backup" folder in your backup location. For the main program, you can watch the size of the "nmcswDB" folder.

Quote:
I actually also bought NM Collector je already on the drive. I will try to figure out how to download the data onto that drive also.
Assuming the desktop is where you have the latest data, you can just copy your "nmcswDB" from your desktop to your flash drive. This video shows you how to do it: Copy Database From One Location to Another (backup). It is probably better to rename the one you will be overwriting so that you can recover it in case of error. You could rename the "nmcswDB" folder on your USB to something like "nmcswDB_07_07_12" (or whatever date) and then copy the latest data from your desktop to the USB flash drive.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

I have had plenty USB flash drives die on me so I never use them as a sole backup device. The more places you have backups, the more likely you will be able to recover.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 AM

Smile Easy Back Ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
I have had plenty USB flash drives die on me so I never use them as a sole backup device. The more places you have backups, the more likely you will be able to recover.
You can use the methodology in the video referenced above to backup to any location.

Unlike you, with the exception described below, I have never had a USB flash drive fail on me and I have used them for data backup for many years. The one exception turned out to be due to a bad USB flash drive port on one of my computers that killed several USB flash drives. It is important to note however, that USB flash drives must be properly removed to prevent data loss. I'm not saying you did not properly remove yours but some people think they can just plug them into their computer and unplug them at any time with no consequences not realizing the system may still be writing data to the USB flash drive when they unplug it.

However, that said, I do keep many backups in many locations just in case. I use multiple internal hard drives, multiple external USB hard drives, and USB flash drives. Although you did not suggest "the cloud" many people use it for backup and even primary storage purposes.

I prefer not to use "the cloud" due to data privacy concerns. After all, "the cloud" is server space owned and managed by somebody, foreign or domestic, that you may or may not be able to trust.

Thanks,

Last edited by nmCollector; 07-08-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

I get daily emails touting "the cloud" but it slays me that anyone would trust his data (and if it is a business, his business) to something as filled with malware and miscreants as the internet. It may be cheaper but it sure isn't more secure.