Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 02:28 PM

Default Great Time Had by All At The South Store

I was fortunate to be at The South Store January 9-10 with some of my friends. We were surprised with a Great new display and many additional firearms added in additional areas in the store. I have never seen that many 1917's and great looking 1903's in one place all for sale. There were many Winchester Garand rifles to choose from and a great selection of hard to get slings like the dated 1943 sling. USGI Ammo cans at competitive pricing, and many other new items. The service was exceptional by Colby, Ellyn and of course Bobby. This team is a real jewel IMHO. They went well out of their way to please the folks that came in over the two days I was there. If you have not visited lately you need to come to the store. 2020 I believe will be a banner year to find what you want at The CMP South Store but you have to make multiple visits I have found to really get to see various selections of rifles during the year.
Then last but not least the Crown Jewel for The CMP Tom Taylor. Here is a man that gives up many hours every day, three days a week for going on 6 years now to help anyone he can promoting not only this establishment but also helping generate many future sales because he really cares. 100 percent volunteer. I am so honored to be called his friend.He helps anyone and especially the newbies, he is great at doing that.
So come soon and come often I believe you will find your own jewel this year. I know I did.
https://imgur.com/nV2Oz7B

Last edited by cb36; 01-12-2020 at 03:18 PM. Reason: change in info
Old 01-12-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb36 View Post
I was fortunate to be at The South Store January 9-10 with some of my friends. We were surprised with a Great new display and many additional firearms added in additional areas in the store. I have never seen that many 1917's and great looking 1903's in one place all for sale. There were many Winchester Garand rifles to choose from and a great selection of hard to get slings like the dated 1943 sling. USGI Ammo cans at competitive pricing, and many other new items. The service was exceptional by Colby, Ellyn and of course Bobby. This team is a real jewel IMHO. They went well out of their way to please the folks that came in over the two days I was there. If you have not visited lately you need to come to the store. 2020 I believe will be a banner year to find what you want at The CMP South Store but you have to make multiple visits I have found to really get to see various selections of rifles during the year.
Then last but not least the Crown Jewel for The CMP Tom Taylor. Here is a man that gives up many hours every day, three days a week for going on 6 years now to help anyone he can promoting not only this establishment but also helping generate many future sales because he really cares. 100 percent volunteer. I am so honored to be called his friend.He helps anyone and especially the newbies, he is great at doing that.
So come soon and come often I believe you will find your own jewel this year. I know I did.

Thanks Charlie for your very nice comment. I have alway enjoyed doing it and have made a lot of friends as a result of the reporting. And I know I have helped to sell a lot of rifles and of course I have purchased my fair share. I also agree with you that this will be an exceptional year for customers to purchase that gem they have been looking for. I also believe that there’s a great store staff and I have never met any employee in the store that wasn’t pleasant and professional always!!!
Old 01-12-2020, 08:42 PM

I will echo and agree with everything cb36 said about Tom.

I will add that although cb36 is not at the SS as often as Tom when he is cb36 is also extremely helpful with those picking out M1s and the bolt rifles especially us newbies. Plus he is just an all round nice person.

The store staff is also exceptional. They were very patient with my son and I hanging out for most of about two weeks at the SS while we were in the area last October.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:58 AM

Default Sorry, missed you again...

Charlie,
Sorry I was not able to come down and get together with you this trip. I am really bummed out but this bug going around does not seem to care that it disrupted my personal fun schedule. Besides, I know you would not want me to share it with you.
I agree that the best way to find some nice rifles is with multiple trips and I am blessed to live within reasonable driving distance to do just that.

Tom really is a nice guy but he can't help it. That's just the way he is

maybe next trip?

Rob
Old 01-13-2020, 06:51 PM

Thumbs up I too agree, outstanding people

I'm from Massachusetts:
October 24th, 2019: Tom helped me pick out a '03 and a M1.
January 9th 2020 after a quick stop at Ft Bragg and Macdill AFB, Tom gave his blessing to my choice of an '03 and Bobby went way out of his way to help me pick a nice M1. Even one of the girls working there help me pick a tee shirt for my granddaughter. Colby's great too.

When I get home I'm beat up for a few days but it's well worth it.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb36 View Post
Do you have some inside information on availability this year of rifles that might/will pop up?
Based on your statements it sound like you do.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:58 PM

Nope sorry I do not. Just found a few nice rifles and with the new racks they added more guns which improve all our chances to find something new . Good luck in your searches.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:59 AM

Default Shomway " inside information on availability "

In a way you do have information on availability, you have your own secret agent man, Tom, code named "PH68".

South Store is only open Thu-Sat. So to start, plan your trip to arrive in Oxford on Wednesday afternoon. Get a motel room at the Quality Inn. Plan to arrive at CMP at 6am. You'll be the first one in the door when it opens at 8am.

Remember, your secret agent sent you a message Saturday night or Sunday morning. PH68 (Tom) sent in his closing restocking count. Now no one is going to take a rifle until the next week, thursday, at 8am. Guess what, your there and the first one in line. What are you looking for, WWII, 6 Million, Special? Grab Bobbie (Armor) or Tom (PH68) and ask them for their help. Move fast. At first don't pick up a rifle, just read the tag. Remember there's 20 some people behind you trying to get their rifle. Once you get one bring it to the counter, they'll tag it and get back and check the others. If you find something better you can return the first one to the rack.

You can also return in the afternoon to check what was restocked.

Good luck.

Bob
Old 01-14-2020, 08:50 AM

One thing I could add is arrive early enough on Wednesday to check out the Talladega range. You might find a nice rifle there and the sales tax is lower than at the south store.