X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon_Freeman
    • Oct 2011

CMP Affiliated Organization?

Why doesn't the CMP accept NRA memberships for the affiliated club requirement? I would prefer to renew my NRA membership over my GCA membership. The GCA is a great organization, but it would do a lot more for our second amendment rights if we could use the NRA for the requirement.
  • Kansas Poster
    • Jul 2010

Not Mr. M, but I bet the NRA is not a Club?

Now for the flame.
    Operation Positive Attitude.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here https://forums.thecmp.org/forum/mark...oster-feedback

Comment

• Orest
      CMP Board Member
      • Sep 2009

CMP does not lobby for or against any political candidate. We guard our 501c3 status.
      CMP Chief Operating Officer

Comment

• The Raven
        • Oct 2012

Yup, specifically why I don't like the NRA...politics. Give me the option to simply support thier shooting programs and I would be a happy member tomorrow. Too bad most clubs REQUIRE NRA membership.

Comment

• Johnho
          • Nov 2009

Have no idea how allowing membership in NRA to qualify for purchase would improve your Second Amendment rights. You have the same rights to buy a rifle from CMP as everyone else. Like any organization, they have the right to establish the rules to accomplish their goals. Meet them you get to buy, don't want to meet them then buy from third party. No Second Amendments rights affected. The Second Amendment only gives you the right to posses a firearm, not who you think you should be able to buy one from. I agree with others, NRA is ok but I don't agree with all their positions and only belong because club I belong too requires it.

Comment

• Gordon_Freeman
            • Oct 2011

Thanks Orest. I was just curious. I know the NRA plays a huge part in making it possible for us to own M1 Garands and other firearms. I guess the CMP does help the
            NRA by advertising in their magazine.

Comment

• aimit
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by The Raven View Post
              Yup, specifically why I don't like the NRA...politics. Give me the option to simply support thier shooting programs and I would be a happy member tomorrow. Too bad most clubs REQUIRE NRA membership.
              If the NRA was not involved in politics there would be no shooting programs, and you most likely would not be able to own any functional firearm. If you don't understand that you have not been paying attention for the last fifty or so years. Just ask anyone from England or Australia.

Comment

• GCBurner
                • Dec 2010

I haven't seen a gun club or range that requires NRA membership to shoot, unless possibly if it's in an official NRA sanctioned competition.

Comment

• aimit
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ZvenoMan
                  I applaud CMPs decision to support a variety of shooting disciplines by requiring membership in an organization, and then allowing so many different organizations. Add me to the ranks of those who has a concern about clubs requiring NRA membership. There is a nice club near me I'd like to join but I won't if they require me to join NRA, so I am a member of another club instead, and not a bad one, just further and no HP matches!
                  By no means am I anti-NRA, but I am an advocate of choice, and to me seeing CMP simply wants us to participate in some sort of shooting related pursuit I think that's what this sport is all about. NRA has always seemed to decide what I apparently want, and while the intentions are great I don't care for the method. My opinion, and it may be wrong!
                  Adding NRA to the list of qualified clubs would probably not enhance anyone's 2nd A rights, as it would be just another club that counts, same as adding another club. Are not most NRA members also members of an affiliated organization?

Anyway, I appreciate the non-political stance of CMP as well as the encouragement to pursue shooting sports as we see fit.

JH
                  The NRA is the only pro gun group that anti gun politicians worry about, so thier methods must be effective, even though you might not care for them. Whether or not you support the NRA is your business of course, but don't whine when more and more of your gun rights are lost.

Comment

• jmark
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by aimit View Post
                    If the NRA was not involved in politics there would be no shooting programs, and you most likely would not be able to own any functional firearm. If you don't understand that you have not been paying attention for the last fifty or so years. Just ask anyone from England or Australia.
                    Agreed. The club I am joining requires NRA membership and I am glad it does. It is a CMP affiliated club which I am also glad for.
                    Last edited by jmark; 10-22-2012, 11:20 AM.
                    NRA Lifetime Member, SAF, & CCRKBA Member
                    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

Comment

• The Raven
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by aimit View Post
                      That's great, but I don't personally like Romney/Ryan, yet the NRA is supporting them. I don't really agree with sport hunting, but NRA advocates for it. I don't really see the point of machine guns...but the NRA supports thier ownership. I'm not going to blame anyone or look down on anyone who likes Romney/Hunting or machine guns....just I don't want to give my hard earned money to support the cause. MPBN for example allows you to choose where the money goes when you donate.....TV or Radio....I donate and choose radio because I don't have a TV.

If the NRA just went and gave me the option to simply select where I wanted MY money to go...then I would support them.

In regards to gun groups, Capital City Rifle and Pistol club, Hamden Rifle Club, and i think it is called the Farm Rifle club all my closest clubs all require NRA membership...or at least pay a 120% premuim over an NRA member. I would love to be a member, but the requirement keeps me shooting alone in the back 40 and paying for the Garand Collectors Association to be qualified to buy a rifle.
                      Last edited by The Raven; 10-22-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• jmark
                        • Sep 2010

^ If you believe in the 2nd amendment, I don't see how you can't support the NRA & Romney/Ryan. You can't have it both ways.....
                        Last edited by jmark; 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM.
                        NRA Lifetime Member, SAF, & CCRKBA Member
                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

Comment

• Andykev
                          • Mar 2012

Many of the NRA programs are excellent, but the core of the NRA is political activism to protect our gun rights.

Our shooting range is owned/operated by five separate gun clubs, all are corporations with IRS 501(c)(4) status. We are prohibited from engaging in political activities, etc. BUT some of the clubs (two) give a $5 discount on your annual dues (which is only $20 or $25) if you show a NRA card.

Not one of our clubs REQUIRE any NRA membership.

We are also CMP affiliated as well.

Comment

• onthexmark
                            • Feb 2010

Nra

If your club is all nra, then your club is eligble for money to inprove your ranges, at least that's what I have been told.

Mark
                            Mark Turner

Comment

• aimit
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by The Raven View Post
                              That's great, but I don't personally like Romney/Ryan, yet the NRA is supporting them. I don't really agree with sport hunting, but NRA advocates for it. I don't really see the point of machine guns...but the NRA supports thier ownership. I'm not going to blame anyone or look down on anyone who likes Romney/Hunting or machine guns....just I don't want to give my hard earned money to support the cause. MPBN for example allows you to choose where the money goes when you donate.....TV or Radio....I donate and choose radio because I don't have a TV.

If the NRA just went and gave me the option to simply select where I wanted MY money to go...then I would support them.

In regards to gun groups, Capital City Rifle and Pistol club, Hamden Rifle Club, and i think it is called the Farm Rifle club all my closest clubs all require NRA membership...or at least pay a 120% premuim over an NRA member. I would love to be a member, but the requirement keeps me shooting alone in the back 40 and paying for the Garand Collectors Association to be qualified to buy a rifle.
                              You have a right to your opinion but have absolutely no idea how dumb that sounds to anyone who supports the second amendment, gun rights, and the shooting sports.

Comment

Working...
                              X