Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2019, 08:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb
Default Sadlak NM gas piston: not a drop in item

I have a M1A, mfg in 1991 , standard model. Awhile back I purchased a Sadlak Nat. Match, TN coated grooved gas piston as I was wanting to shoot 175 gr loads in the M1A and thought this was a good idea ..for prevention of damage by 175 gr loads and NM piston would enhance accuracy.

At 1000 yd line, that Sadlak piston gave terrible accuracy, stuffed in the orig stock piston and accuracy returned. That has been a sore point and I've been meaning to call Sadlak about it . Well, its been a few years and it struck me...call them and stop being irritated about this.

Well, I did yesterday and they were not surprised ...that piston might be undersized , or my gas cylinder not in spec. Did I measure the stock piston ?

Where I went wrong seems to be I simply thought a NM piston would enhance accuracy and did not account for that grooved piston feature dropping pressures. Perhaps others bought this "NM" piston and it was a drop in unit that made things better ?

I'm thinking I approached this NM piston naively and did not know what I was getting into. I should have measured my stock piston and asked Sadlak if their NM piston was same size before I bought.

I don't think Sadlak snookered me and this product might be wonderful for others but I do think, I assumed too much and that is where I went wrong.

I have not tried using this piston at 600 yds and it might be superb at that distance but for sure, on my rifle at 1000 yds, its not a help at all.

Somewhere might be a lesson learned for any of you contemplating a NM gas piston with the groove in it. I'd probably would be better off , had I asked here about this NM piston and got some sage advice.

Last edited by milprileb; 06-06-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:29 AM

Well said.
Just because marketing is calling something NM doesn't mean squat.
I think if most folks took the time and changed one item at a time and tested,they might just find that their original rifle performed well with no " miraculous" modifications.
Personally I have found that most of my rifle shoot better with something removed rather than added.
Have to admit I have never tried a grooved piston and found that a schuster plug did next to nothing for accuracy.
Most improvement I have found is by relieving the front ferule and barrel channel.
Next would be a unitized band and cylinder.
Lastly a round spring guide by any of the mfgs.
It's all fun. Glad you are working at it.
RVN 67-68
Old 06-07-2019, 12:00 PM

Even changing standard pistons can effect accuracy.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
Even changing standard pistons can effect accuracy.

Ah, another believer. Good for you Ted.
Always a good idea to keep a supply on hand.
RVN 67-68
Old 06-07-2019, 02:11 PM

I recall Gus Fisher had a great article on The M14 Forum about how his Marine teams would go through half a dozen or so pistons per rifle to find the one that provided the best accuracy. The impact to a rifle of a piston that had the right fit for that particular rifle was impressive. I have noticed the same in my own shooting. IMO opinion, well worth it (and fun!) to try and improve accuracy on your M14 by trying different pistons out. I also had a Sadlack NM piston but never used it and later sold it because I am so happy with the accuracy of my LRB using a standard USGI piston.