Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Default actual selling price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
And I would be lucky to get half of that out of mine
Agree. M1s seem to sell readily for less than $1,000.00 Above that they really need to be something special. With prices of "black rifles" plummeting it may become harder to sell average shooter M1s...I know it is a different buyer but there is some cross over. Adjusted for inflation a "Blue Sky" M1 would now sell in $500.00 to $600.00
Old 02-15-2017, 10:26 AM

From 1999:

COLLECTOR GRADE: $750.00 - Either of two criteria qualifies a rifle for this grade: originality or scarcity. Condition is secondary: the rifle is not likely to appear "new", and in fact may look no better than some rifles in Service or Select grades. Bore condition may gauge from 1 to 5. Examples of Collector grade rifles include, but are not limited to:

Any M1 of any era, from any of the four manufacturers, having all the original parts and finish as shipped from the manufacturer, with the appropriate inspector’s cartouche on the stock;

Any pre-WWII Springfield Armory M1 with essentially all original parts (may have some minor parts replaced);

Any Winchester "dash-13" variations (1.6 million serial number range);

Any International Harvester M1 rifles with the original barrels and most other original parts, as well as those rifles bearing unusual manufacturers’ logos on the receiver, including the "Arrowhead", Gap-lettered" and "Postage Stamp" variations;

Any Harrington and Richardson M1 with a serial number in the 6 million range.

In 2001 it was $950
Old 02-15-2017, 11:16 AM

Thanks.. RKTRax, et-al, for the information. Didn't know WWII were included in that sale. I am aware of a collector grade 6M SA that sold for 750 in 2000. Regards,
Old 02-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
From 1999:

COLLECTOR GRADE: $750.00 - Either of two criteria qualifies a rifle for this grade: originality or scarcity. Condition is secondary: the rifle is not likely to appear "new", and in fact may look no better than some rifles in Service or Select grades. Bore condition may gauge from 1 to 5. Examples of Collector grade rifles include, but are not limited to:

Any M1 of any era, from any of the four manufacturers, having all the original parts and finish as shipped from the manufacturer, with the appropriate inspector’s cartouche on the stock;

Any pre-WWII Springfield Armory M1 with essentially all original parts (may have some minor parts replaced);

Any Winchester "dash-13" variations (1.6 million serial number range);

Any International Harvester M1 rifles with the original barrels and most other original parts, as well as those rifles bearing unusual manufacturers’ logos on the receiver, including the "Arrowhead", Gap-lettered" and "Postage Stamp" variations;

Any Harrington and Richardson M1 with a serial number in the 6 million range.

In 2001 it was $950
may have some minor parts replaced
I'd say the description and customer expectations of a collector grade have changed significantly. Today, one expects a CMP papered collector grade to be just shy of an un-issued M1. Many of the Greek return service grades from a few years ago would have qualified as collector-grades in 1999, but they mostly had excellent stock sets too.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 02-15-2017, 03:27 PM

cccmp,

Roadkingtrax is correct in the case of this rifle. My Father ordered a Collector Grade Garand from CMP but at that time one could not specify WWII. Took him about 2 years before the rifle arrived as availability was hit and miss. He received the rifle fall of 2000 and the price was $750. Not sure if it may have had any influence on what he received but Dad did serve in the Army at the end of WWII and was recalled by the Marines to serve during Korea. This rifle is a Springfield with a Serial Number in the 3.42 million range. From what I can find that seems to match the 1/45 barrel markings.

Last edited by timberflint; 02-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 PM

I purchased what i could when CMP had them and my dad did $750.00 i got a new SA and new HRA my dad got a Mint IHC and a nice WWII WRA GHD he is a WWII combat VET