Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2017, 02:23 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofeets View Post
I have been to exactly one gun show in my life, here in Orlando a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure I know exactly the guy you are talking about. Impressed with the collection but I can't imagine he sells a whole lot with that business method. I did ask pricing. It was laughably stratospheric.
I can believe it.....I did not even 'ask' what prices were.....knowing they would be RIDICULOUS. Guess he likes paying table fees and just shooting the sh**. (I was told he likes to visit the other tables prior to the show and try to grab some decent rifles etc at THEIR price - then put them on HIS table and jack up the price). What a joke.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:42 PM

Default gun shows/lgs

Went to two of the biggest gun shops in town today. Similar experience to going to gun shows as described in this thread. Very high prices and marginal condition. An example: asked to look at an 03. It was a Mk. I rebuild with scant stock. Price was $2,400.00! I was tempted to ask the salesman if the Pederson Device was included. I have lamented that the internet was the end of gun shows and LGS. I now, finally, get it. It is better to be buying from knowledgeable people, who want to have a reputation, like those on this forum than the gun show vendors that are looking for the one time sale. I am new to the forum but have had great experience in all my dealings. Thanks to all...
Old 02-15-2017, 11:28 PM

To you last comment I'd bet he's internet seller. He's buying guns as the show and putting them under the table. Also, Many promoters will not allow you to buy a firearm at the show and then sell the same show. My reason for believing he's selling on the internet is there's guy that does the same thing here and I know him and that's what he does. Gets a table and walks the show looking for deals to flip on the internet. He claims he makes over 100K a year doing that and yes he's an FFL and runs a real business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTN View Post
I think it's a universal concept. Anymore it's a lot of guys splitting a table with their buddies and putting way overpriced guns out that will never sell. I think it serves a few purposes: Friday dealer inspection, a seat to watch what comes in the door, to show off what they own, and to prove to the wife that yes they're trying to sell off the collection but no one is willing to pay a "fair" price. There's a guy regular to the shows around here that gets a table and nothing on it is for sale. Still haven't figured that one out.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:08 PM

Great thread.

I fought it as long as I could, but bought my first Garand (Rack Grade) from the North Store 1 year ago. Had CMP put a new Crterion barrel on at the Eastern Games last year. Nice shooting mix-master. I will shoot it at the Eastern Games this year. (I recommend you guys go there! )

I got into a Garand cheap ($530) and now have a brand new barrel($175). I'm happy.
I admire the collector stuff, and read about it, but will NEVER pay the big prices for the "original" parts. In fact, my rifle had a "uncut" op-rod. When I found out that they are weak, I sold it and bought a modified one (stronger), made some bucks, and bought more ammo.

I have a passion for shooting. I shoot my rifles a lot. I don't collect. But I "get" the attraction to make a gun "original."

I agree that gun shows are a disappointment. I would NEVER buy a Garand there. Prices are $300 or more than CMP price! I only go to buy primers and powder. If I want to sell a gun, I sell it on GB. The people at the local shows here in northern Ohio (Berea & Medina) in my opinion are poor financially. If you walk in with a used gun priced $20 BELOW Blue Book( of Gun Values), they want to know if you will throw in hundreds of rounds of ammo, mags, etc.!!

I buy online. I sell online.

I don't want gun shows to go away. It's part of our culture. But if they did...no big deal. Something will replace it. Hopefully more shooting compititions.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/

Last edited by rubicon762; 02-16-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:58 PM

Same thing here where I am. Year after year, same old guys, same old tables, same old guns and SAME HIGH PRICES! I have been lucky enough to get all three of my Garands for under $1000 two of which came from the CMP. I get sick of hearing "Yeah, I'll take it off your hands for........"(a fire sale price). Saw one last show I went to and was a true mixmaster and the guy wanted $2700 for it!? Really? Oh, but I'm sure it has a colorful story behind it like the fact that it belonged to General Patton because the P on the pistol grip stands for Patton!
Old 02-17-2017, 05:12 PM

At our LGS recently heard that ATF had been cracking down on private sellers who had tables but who were not licensed dealers. Might explain why our local show has fewer and fewer tables. Not sure if that is happening elsewhere.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
At our LGS recently heard that ATF had been cracking down on private sellers who had tables but who were not licensed dealers. Might explain why our local show has fewer and fewer tables. Not sure if that is happening elsewhere.
Why would that matter, private sale is legal in Florida?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devil View Post
Why would that matter, private sale is legal in Florida?
Yes, a casual sale to another non licensed Florida resident is fine but, I guess if the ATF could make a case that you were making a living selling guns you could have a problem. I have been to many gun shows here in Florida, in fact I will be going to one tomorrow. There are a mix of sellers, some walk ins, looking to sell a single weapon, FFL dealers, some collectors making sales of personal weapons in order to upgrade there collections, not necessarily to make money and there are others who have a table loaded with all types of guns and they themselves are not "collectors". What are they ? Unlicensed dealers ? If so, they may be the ones that will have the problems and I could care less. They only jeopardize the future existence of the shows for the rest of us.

Last edited by JoeW2111; 02-17-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 PM

This change happened after an Obama ex order. I saw news reports from gun shows about it. They re-defined " in the business" of selling guns. It doesn't have to be your main income. It can only be one gun. If you purchase a gun in order to sell for a profit & sell it, they consider you "in the business" & you will need a FFL & do a background check. Thats why it affected gun shows.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...e-and-make-our

Last edited by okc Bob; 02-18-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:01 PM

I wonder if this will change the rules that apply to C&R sales. Holders of C&R FFL's are considered "collectors" and not conducting a business as long as the sales are made to ugrade there collection and not just to make a profit.

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is making clear that it doesn’t matter where you conduct your business—from a store, at gun shows, or over the Internet: If you’re in the business of selling firearms, you must get a license and conduct background checks."

As to "Gun Shows", I went to the "2 Guys" show in Pt. Charlotte today. I only saw one M1 at the show. It was one of the M1 D's called, I believe, Service Grade Special, with the repro Hi-Lux scope and repro M82 mount. The dealer was asking $ 2600.00 for it. I had no interest in it but was curious as to the original price from CMP. These are "Sold Out". Does anyone recall what CMP sold them for.

Last edited by JoeW2111; 02-18-2017 at 08:08 PM.