Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2017, 05:00 PM

Default Another likely steal; IHC

So a friend is coming up to my home to purchase one of the FGs I received last year. He's ex military and police and has become interested in M1s (very familiar with ARs and is a Glock Armorer)...

He really wants and M1, and I've been telling him that these are all reparked mixmaster put together by the CMP (at least the ones I received). So he tells me that the other day he stopped at a little gun shop on the way home. An older guy pulls up next to him, pops the trunk, and pulls out a rifle.

My friend asks if that's an M1. Answer: Yes. "Are you going to sell it"?. Answer: Yes. "How much you want"? Answer: $450.

So my friend, who knows nothing about M1s looks it over. It looked serviceable and asks if the guy will follow him to his bank. He does. Rifle purchased for asking price (as an ex cop, he checked ID, ran plate numbers etc etc.).

I have him on the phone and he says it's made by the company that makes tractors. Pulls out the rifle and reads International Harvester and serial number 5.02mil. Says it looks like it's never been apart. Barrel? He reports it has P, LMR, 5-53-1-A-1 (or something close to that).

Sorry, no photos at this time. I will inspect the rifle in the first week in March. I'll get more data on at that time.

Right place, right time, right instincts.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submerge View Post
My friend asks if that's an M1. Answer: Yes. "Are you going to sell it"?. Answer: Yes. "How much you want"? Answer: $450.

Pulls out the rifle and reads International Harvester
I'll take, "Things that will never happen to me" for $600, Alex.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devil View Post
No kidding,Brian!
Old 02-16-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Penthouse letters pt.2
Old 02-16-2017, 05:32 PM

Why does this never happen to me?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Ain't that the truth.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:15 PM

Geeeez-usss, I hope he went right out and bought a lotto ticket before his luck changed. OP: Please do report back when you can inspect the rifle.

Are you a GCA member? This would make a good article with pics for the GCA Journal, under a long lost article heading called "THEY ARE STILL OUT THERE."
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 PM

Yes, am a member. I was thinking the same thing. After examining it I'll post some photos, and if it presents as original will try to get more history from the owner.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:03 PM

One heck of a story. Wish something like that could happen to me.

... need to start loitering around the LGS more often haha
Old 03-13-2017, 09:22 PM

Following up on the original post. The rifle paid me a visit today. IHC 5.01. Bone dry. Plenty of receiver pitting (with active rust) and rusty items (like the extractor spring and other small tucked away parts). LMR 3-53 barrel corroded internally (ME >3 on gauge, and swallowed an LC 69 surplus round, TE 5+), crown area and muzzle end frosted lightly. GC assembly and front sight WWII SA. Internals late but no IHC codes. Bolt, Oprod, Gas Screw, Wind/Elev drums marked IHC. Stock was HEAVILY sanded with all outside markings removed. There was a Julian date in the channel (3183). Trigger group all late, SA hammer, SA-11 safety with broken nose, unmarked trigger.

My conclusion is not in original condition (I know that they used SA parts on the earlier ones, but a WWII SA GC assembly/sight?).

He got his money's worth for $450. Shame that the stock was destroyed by sanding. Didn't even bother photographing. Taught him how to disassemble and lube properly. Cleaned all the active rust off. Straightened the bent front hand guard liner so it now passes tilt test. Safe to fire, and he will test it soon with some CMP milsurp I gave him.