Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2017, 05:55 PM

Default Last M1s to make it into the war?

I remember a thread where some of the Forum members gave their insight on the following:

What manufacturing date was possibly the last date that a Garand made it into the war?

In other words, were M1s manufactured in December of 1944 or January of 1945 made too late to get overseas and be used in the war. Was it an earlier or later date?

I remember the discussion centered around best guesses and will check my M1 books tonight after I get home from work.

I used the search feature but cannot find the thread I am thinking about (found some just not the longer one). If anyone has a better recollection than me, would you kindly point me in the right direction. Or if you have any thoughts.........
Old 02-15-2017, 06:23 PM

The latest serial number to be used in a combat theater in WWII that I've personally heard of is the 3.2 million (Nov.1944) that was found in a tomb on Okinawa in the 1990's. I'm sure delivery times varied depending on the urgency of the need for small arms throughout the war. I recall another story of a European collector purchasing a pair of M1's from a farmer that picked up during the aftermath of a battle that was fought on his land in August of 1944. The rifles were both 2.7 million Springfields made in April of 1944.

Last edited by Wickstrom; 02-15-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 PM

Any idea how many or where rifles were being marshaled for the invasion of Japan? With an anticipated invasion of fall of '45 seems like massive amounts of replacement weapons, ammunition and all manner of equipment would have been being readied up until August.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspunned View Post
Any idea how many or where rifles were being marshaled for the invasion of Japan?
Okinawa, which is roughly 500 miles of the south of southernmost main Japanese island, Kyushu, was the primary staging area for Operation Olympic, the first of the two proposed invasions of the Japanese mainland.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 AM

I have long wondered this myself.......I have a SA 3.6 million range M1......produced in March 45.......I hate to speculate but given the need for small arms, im sure some guns produced in early 45 had to have saw service......the Battle of the Bulge and the Invasion of the Philippines were both in full swing in early 45.......the build up for Iwo Jima and Okinawa were going on as well.......replacement soldiers were still filling ranks of front line units well into 1945......however im sure a good portion of 1945 production was being set aside for invasion of Japan......
Old 02-16-2017, 08:13 AM

You also had hundreds of thousands of casualties that no longer needed rifles. Seems like the new rifles would go to training camps and make their way to theater with new recruits. I would think in theater there were probably lots of serviceable rifles in surplus.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandhunter31 View Post
I have long wondered this myself.......I have a SA 3.6 million range M1......produced in March 45.......I hate to speculate but given the need for small arms, im sure some guns produced in early 45 had to have saw service......the Battle of the Bulge and the Invasion of the Philippines were both in full swing in early 45.......the build up for Iwo Jima and Okinawa were going on as well.......replacement soldiers were still filling ranks of front line units well into 1945......however im sure a good portion of 1945 production was being set aside for invasion of Japan......
Has there ever been a documented case of a 1945 produced rifle being carried or "earth recovered" from either theater?

Curious as I've speculated and come to exactly the opposite conclusion you did. I do not think it likely any 1945 manufactured Garands saw WWII service in Europe. Maybe Japan, but even then I'd like to see evidence to confirm it as it seems there would have been plenty of pre-1945 production sitting on racks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTN View Post
You also had hundreds of thousands of casualties that no longer needed rifles. Seems like the new rifles would go to training camps and make their way to theater with new recruits. I would think in theater there were probably lots of serviceable rifles in surplus.
That's part of my thinking as well.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devil View Post
Has there ever been a documented case of a 1945 produced rifle being carried or "earth recovered" from either theater?

Curious as I've speculated and come to exactly the opposite conclusion you did. I do not think it likely any 1945 manufactured Garands saw WWII service in Europe. Maybe Japan, but even then I'd like to see evidence to confirm it as it seems there would have been plenty of pre-1945 production sitting on racks.

That's part of my thinking as well.
Here are my thoughts.......with the millions of soldiers deploying overseas I find it difficult to believe not one soldier was armed with a 1945 made M1......I think there is a much better chance a 1945 saw service in Pacific than Europe..... Just because there were tons a serviceable weapons held in supply by front line units means little......from what I understand, soldiers were deployed with the same rifle they went through boot camp with (this being the driving factor in my opinion)........so a replacement soldier at Okinawa in late May/early June 1945 who entered basic training in February 1945 could have been issue a 1945 made M1.......a friend of mine's grandfather enlisted in Feb 45 and was sent to the Pacific theatre.......he never saw "combat" but was a Signalman who was armed with an M1 Carbine while combat operations were still underway in the Pacific.......I find it unreasonable to completely deny with 100% certainty that a 1945 made M1 could have been issue to combat troops.......I think a reasonable conclusion would be very early made 1945 M1's could very well have made it into combat soldiers hands even in very very small numbers......most likely in the Pacific Theatre........anyway good discussion, something we may never know conclusively........ always fun to speculate though........
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM

I had a customer, WWII Vet, who was attached to the Army Air Corp in the Pacific. I had a chance to looks through boxes of photographs on two different occasions with him and his wife that he had from his stay on Tinian, before he moved up, while he worked as an armorer on the B 29's. He's long pasted now. He also showed me his rifle qualifacation book with the SR # 3515838 from the Springfield M1 that he was issued and carried on guard duty. IIRC it was produced early-mid February 1945. He shipped out from Washington state late March 1945.

rifle guy
Old 02-18-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle guy View Post
I had a customer, WWII Vet, who was attached to the Army Air Corp in the Pacific. I had a chance to looks through boxes of photographs on two different occasions with him and his wife that he had from his stay on Tinian, before he moved up, while he worked as an armorer on the B 29's. He's long pasted now. He also showed me his rifle qualifacation book with the SR # 3515838 from the Springfield M1 that he was issued and carried on guard duty. IIRC it was produced early-mid February 1945. He shipped out from Washington state late March 1945.

rifle guy
well there's the answer.......would be interesting to know what the last M1 to get shipped overseas was......

Tags
manufacture date