Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:48 AM

Default Surplus 1911 Sales OK'd by President?

I just read that President Obama has signed into law the bill that would allow the sale of surplus military 1911 pistols through the CMP.

Am I dreaming or is it real?

Link: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-s-army-1911s/
Old 11-26-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
He signed the defence bill. Wait and see what happens now. It won't be anytime soon.
Some required actions, such as training and equipping armorers; inspecting, repairing and grading pistols; and obtaining an FFL by the CMP, will take some time and will impact the date of sales to the public. Other actions, such as the transfer of the pistols to the CMP can happen almost immediately upon the effective date of the authorization bill.

Bottom line: It is going to happen, but we all need to exercise some patience.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Don't get your hopes up just yet...its been said many times before by the CMP that they would not get into the business of selling 1911s.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Trader View Post
Don't get your hopes up just yet...its been said many times before by the CMP that they would not get into the business of selling 1911s.
Yes, that is why CMP publishes updates on the status of the bill on its website and Facebook, because they don't want to sell them.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:50 AM

Legislation says MAY be transferred not must. Secretary is an Executive appointment so many administration might not authorize the transfer.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Sure hope they do. I would love to get an original 1911. Been in the military 37 years and have good memories of them.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Trader View Post
They said that because at the time the law that established the CMP did not permit sale if 1911s. The recently signed Defense Authorization Bill changes that.

Please see:
http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...861269243.html.

Also: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=173533

I don't see anything that would indicate the CMP doesn't intend to sell 1911s. Seems like they missed a couple opportunities to say so.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:16 PM

Why don't we save the Moderators some trouble and quit posting this so they can enjoy Thanksgiving. Per earlier threads today, this will likely be deleted shortly.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

We'll stick this one for now. Instead of yanking 20 threads asking the exact same thing, if you want to discuss 1911's, this is the thread to do it.

I believe Mark Johnson has already stated that they have no info to discuss at this time. As soon as anything is ready to be released, they will announce it.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
Legislation says MAY be transferred not must. Secretary is an Executive appointment so many administration might not authorize the transfer.
I think this is the key, The Secretary MAY transfer...

Notice it doesn't state WILL transfer...

I assume the "Secretary" is the Secretary of the Army. If he gets instructions from on high telling him under no circumstances to do that transfer then it is unlikely that transfer will take place.

As I see it there are three paths this could take.

The administration doesn't know or doesn't care about that section and things proceed in a positive way and the CMP gets the pistols and starts selling them.

The bill was signed knowing about that section but has no intention of doing the transfer leaving it for a later administration.

Or they intend to destroy the pistols and never intended to release them to the CMP anyway.

Jim
Closed Thread