Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2016, 01:28 PM

Smile Help Garand accuracy Issues

Gentlemen I am in need of you opinons and expertise. First I know you need some background info.

I have a Springfield born February 1945 with the original barrel. It was re-arsenaled in December of 1968. All parts with the exception of the trigger housing (Winchester) appear to be correct. I have owned this own one for about 5yrs and recently have run into an a problem with the Garand shooting in an atypical string (see attached photo). I shot this target yesterday in good conditions at 25yrds. The first shot is at 6 o'clock the tenth shot is at 3 o'clock.
Each succesive shot after first at 6 o'clock followed the semi-circle the sting it created. They were shot in relatively quick succession. ( I wanted the barrel to heat up). I tried as best I could to maintain shooting position to eliminate operator error. Although I know that could also be the cause

Any advice as to whats going on here guys??

Old 06-26-2016, 01:34 PM

Can't see photo.

25 yards should all be on top of each other.

My guess is a problem with a loose rear sight. Might just check the front sight too.

Check out the rear sight, and maybe it needs to be tightened.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....=Kansas+Poster
Old 06-26-2016, 03:16 PM

You say the problem is "recently". Did the problem exist 5 years ago and were the shooting conditions and sequence the same? If you were rapid firing it's typical for a shooter to string rounds right and high on successive shots. Were you using a rest? Were you resting the handguard on the rest? Were you shooting off hand? Were you shooting off a bench and the rifle only supported by you arm or elbow? All the above can cause you to string rounds high and right. The first shot and up to the 3rd or 4th are meaningless on a clean rifle, especially if you've had the stock off since you initially fired it (5 years ago?). It takes at least 3-6 shots to accuracy foul a clean barrel and at least that many to settle the receiver back in the stock once it's been removed.

Added to all of the above it simply could be the fit of your stock creating the entire issue. Wood too tight to metal in single or multiple areas will cause the effect you stated due to heat expansion....especially in rapid fire.

Since your picture isn't visible (it appears you didn't use a photo hosting service as required) we can only go by your statements as to what the target shows. At 25 yards your group size should be between 1/2" and 2" depending on the condition of the barrel and skill and technique of the shooter.

See here for info on posting pictures on this Site:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=660

Last edited by lapriester; 06-26-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:11 PM

I don't have a problem viewing his picture. In my case my issues were as simple as not getting a proper sight picture and my cheek weld was inconsistent. After I tighten up my shooting fundamentals my groups improved.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:16 PM

Hey Guys thanks for the input. I apologize for not providing enough information. This string was shot at 25yrds supported on a bench. Until recently I have been able to shoot 3.5 to 4 inch groups from the bench at 100 yards. I fired the string from the bench supported in quick succession to heat the barrel but each shot was aimed and probably took 3 to five seconds between each shot. I fired two 5 shot strings string.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:23 PM

Ok Guys. My first picture did not load for some reason hopefully this one will work.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoc6 View Post

Ok Guys. My first picture did not load for some reason hopefully this one will work.
Do not see it.
sparx
Old 06-27-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:

It didn't. Still no pic.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Here you go....

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 06-27-2016, 05:57 AM

Thanks Big Red