Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2016, 09:36 AM

Have you looked at the rear sight to see if it is not moving?
Sparx
Old 06-27-2016, 09:39 AM

Was your rifle field stripped before shooting? My rifles usually take about ten to 12 shots to settle in after disassembly. And they usually produce a vertical string of hits till everything gets settled
Old 06-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Exclamation

Best bet is to have someone else shoot the rifle under the same conditions and see if the group is similar. I doubt anything you get from here is going to make much difference. Especially if this has come up out of nowhere when it was shooting better before. Generally that means operator error of some kind. If you didn't change any parts or the stock parts it's usually the cause.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 AM

Like Lap says.

We would like to know if you did anything to the rifle since the last outing though.
sparx
Old 06-27-2016, 11:51 AM

Thanks for All the advice guys. Its been helpful. Most of what you've posted is stuff I am considering. I wanted to have someone else at the range to shoot a string but the other shooters were pretty occupied and I didn't want to bother them. I am really going to look at the operator error issue. The good thing about that is its the cheapest fix. I haven't done a complete strip and lube this year yet and the rifle is due. I think I'll start from scratch after a complete strip and lube. Hopefully that resolves the issue. I appreciate all of your input guys Thank You !!!!!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:53 AM

I did check the rear and Front sights and had asked the RO (who also owns a Garand) to take a look and we could not find anything that caught our eye.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:04 AM

Thumbs up

Sounds like you are on the right track. Out of nowhere problems are not that common with M1's. They usually happen over time. It's rare that one will shoot just fine and suddenly start stringing as badly as your pic indicates at a just 25 yards. Not impossible, just very unusual.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
Here you go....

If the string is bottom-to-top?

Check to see if you have a business card's clearance b/t your gas cylinder and front handguard.

Might be too tight.

GR

- Marine Major General William H. Rupertus - The Rifleman's Creed
Old 06-29-2016, 11:29 AM

Thanks, I did check the handgaurd/gas cylnder. But I will take a closer look and compare a hot and cold barrel to see if there is a difference thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 03:44 PM

Hey Guys, I thought I should give you and update on my accuracy issue. I want to thank all of your for your advice it was all helpful. But it appears that the problems I was having were all shooter related like most of you had suggested. I looked at every aspect fro mechanical issues that you had suggested ( A wonderful learning experience). I had not been able to shoot much this fall due to other commitments. But recently i had a chance to get some quality range time in and went back to basics going over my technique. Low and behold the Gun now shoots like it use to. Amazing !!!

Thanks for all you help it wasn't any one thing that I was doing wrong just a lack of discipline that did was probably the cause.