Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Saluki
Lightbulb Possible M1 Purchasing program for Junior shooters

As we all know, the days of the garands for everyone are gone. I was talking to a lot of older shooters, and nearly everybody agreed that it is a shame that soon juniors will no longer be able to get a rifle with their parents when they come to Perry to shoot with their High Power teams.

So that begs the question, what is to stop the CMP from holding back a decent sized lot of rifles specifically for Juniors who participate in shooting matches at Perry or even at the games matches? Obviously they would need to be accompanied by a parent, but this would in fact happen much like what has taken place for 100+ years in this county, with a father/mother going down to the local sporting goods store to help figure out what their son/daughters first firearm was going to be.

You could even have an evening in the store that was the juniors night, where the staff clears out all of the drill rifles, and stocks the shelf with the rack grade, field, service etc etc. Only the Junior team members & parents, coaches (to assist the juniors and parents) would be allowed in. There they could pick out one garand out of the whole group of them just sitting there and be able to purchase it legally with their parents just the same as the high powered rifles they are already shooting. I honestly think the staff would buy into it because there is something about seeing a young childs face light up when they are going through and picking out their garand. Heck at 34 years of age I was ecstatic!

So what do you guys think???
Old 08-02-2016, 11:45 AM

Rifle sales bring in revenue. CMP mission endoument.

I don't think the young shooters are looking for a M1.

Not a good idea in my mind.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....=Kansas+Poster
Old 08-02-2016, 11:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Saluki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Poster View Post
Rifle sales bring in revenue. CMP mission endoument.

I don't think the young shooters are looking for a M1.

Not a good idea in my mind.
Rifles sales are at this time and place used to bring in revenue, but were not in the past. In addition I do not think that holding back a few hundred rifles is going hurt the CMP's bottom line what so ever. In fact the juniors would still be paying for them...it's just that they would actually have a shot at getting one before they are all out. Call it the DCM system for juniors...
Old 08-02-2016, 06:59 PM

Not seeing the benefit for the CMP and not really seeing how this really furthers their mission. Sounds like additional work for no real gain. What's stashing away a few hundred, or even thousand, rifles and having to do additional work to sell them going to accomplish?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

There could come a day where the CMP is no longer legally able to sell semi-automatic rifles. I think is is a pretty valid argument to sell them now and not presume they will be able to sell them in the not too distant future. No reason to have a fire sale to sell them all, but it is good reason to build that endowment up for marksmanship training over the long term.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:55 AM

I must agree with the other respondents. While the sentiment of the OP's idea is in the right place, the down side of the idea seems to outweigh the benefit. Continuing to pay to store the rifles, the possibility of being prohibited from selling in the future, and the main goal of building the endowment fund should be considered.

The solution is for the parents of the future to buy now!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 AM

Honorable idea but when it is found out that the "juniors" were used as "agents" buy an M1 for an adult................ the stink will begin.......
Old 08-03-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Honorable idea but when it is found out that the "juniors" were used as "agents" buy an M1 for an adult................ the stink will begin.......
OMG that's funny!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:30 AM

What most clubs did in the past and today have M1 Garands M1 carbines and today NM AR 15 so new shooters can try the sport.Our club loans M1 Garands and AR15 for matches and clinics.Before the CMP came along our club would loan rifles, jackets,gloves.scopes,etc out to any member going to matches.Many clubs still do this today to bring new blood into this sport.The idea seems good but there is always a way to help new shooters including JRs in.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
^^This is exactly what I was going to say.

In addition, there's plenty of rifles available on the secondary market right here every day if a junior really wants one.