Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2016, 04:54 PM

Perhaps, if a strong-enough desire for competitive shooting with Garands still persists, and if the time ever comes when these USGI Garands are truly no longer available thru the CMP, and the originals get really scarce and become less affordable…. some other company, (like Springfield Inc.?), might dust off their tooling and begin production of their own version of the M1 Garand once again, and the rules will be flexible enough to accommodate these clones in competition. Granted, SAI's version might be produced with an investment cast receiver, and very few (if any) USGI parts, but it would probably be the closest affordable alternative to an original. Remember the open marketplace during those Post War years when unmolested Garands may as well have been made of unobtainium? Or even the lowliest (welded) Garands were priced beyond the average guy's paycheck? I hope I'm wrong, but I think I foresee a return to those days of slim-pickin's before my life is over. Couple that with the possibility of a declining (Garand) popularity due to the AR platform stealing the thunder away from the Garands and 1903 variants. The things that appeal to my generation, might not be appreciated nearly as much in future generations. Even the popular AR and AK platforms will become obsolete one day. ULTRA-Lightweight construction, exotic materials, non-reloadable (caseless) ammunition, solid propellents, lasers and electronics, etc… may influence this industry and hobby to a greater extent than any of us can even imagine. When that eventually happens, how many young shooters out there will genuinely want to pick up and shoot a heavy old Garand? Hopefully there'll be many, but time will tell… time will tell. I guess we'll see.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:18 AM

Friend of mine is a gunsmith with retail fireams sales. He has 5 very nice M1 Garands on the shelf. Been there for 5 weeks at decent prices. No interest. Sell AR stuff like no end to it. Local gun show had 3 tables set up by the M! collectors assn in this area. Talked with the guy baby sitting th tables. No sales. Very little interest. At the range, many like to see the Garands, a bit curious but when they go to shoot, out comes some decorated AR platform. Tastes change.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

We had a junior at our most recent CMP Clinic. I think the sales freeze is the only inhibition from him buying one now.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 08-15-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post
As we all know, the days of the garands for everyone are gone. I was talking to a lot of older shooters, and nearly everybody agreed that it is a shame that soon juniors will no longer be able to get a rifle with their parents when they come to Perry to shoot with their High Power teams.

So that begs the question, what is to stop the CMP from holding back a decent sized lot of rifles specifically for Juniors who participate in shooting matches at Perry or even at the games matches? Obviously they would need to be accompanied by a parent, but this would in fact happen much like what has taken place for 100+ years in this county, with a father/mother going down to the local sporting goods store to help figure out what their son/daughters first firearm was going to be.
The days of "Garands for everyone" has never been. Garands were once pretty scarce, just far less so in the past couple of decades. It's always been Garands for anyone who can afford and/or find and/or earn one, and the future will not essentially change that.

Parents in the future who really want a Garand for their kid(s) will have to look harder and will simply have to pay solid retail, or else a super premium for one from Fulton Armory or James River etc.

If I was a Parent starting my kid out in Marksmanship training, I would go Air Rifle, then .22 and then 5.56, nothing else.

The CMP can help out in a lot of other ways other than with Garand sales.

Besides, with today's political climate, I don't want the CMP holding back on anything.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 08-15-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:30 PM

I love the idea but agree that it may be impractical. I would like to see the CMP stop selling standard M1's well before the CMP specials run out. Keep them available longer for the people that actually want to shoot them. Now a junior competitor discount may be more practical. The Junior would have to compete to qualify. Only one discount available to each junior competitor. Advertising a discount like this would help keep the juniors aware of the Garands and the Garand competitions. I wouldn't care if it meant a little higher price for the rest of us to offset the discount.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:26 PM

It's easy to think up stuff for others to do. Saving back rifles for the future would be expensive, relative to value of the gun, not to mention a can of worms for the organization. The endowment fund is the provision for future shooters.
Juniors can shoot AR-15 or bolt guns. New events will accommodate as needed. I think the CMP mission is right on track.
It's easy to lose track of what the CMP mission is, it's about teaching a life skill, a considerable benefit for those who will go into military service at a later time. The sale of surplus rifles only supports the mission and when these rifles are gone, the CMP and shooters will adapt and carry on.

Last edited by Mountain Walker; 02-02-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:54 AM

Default Garands are Everywhere

With President Trump in office I believe in some short time in the future we will see Garands and M-1 Carbines coming back to be handled by CMP.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTulip109 View Post
With President Trump in office I believe in some short time in the future we will see Garands and M-1 Carbines coming back to be handled by CMP.
This has nothing to do with CMP as they do not Import rifles
Old 02-04-2017, 07:11 PM

I have an 8 year old grand son, told him the M1D with the scope mount, scope, and bayonet is his in ten years. Gonna keep the tradition going.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This has nothing to do with CMP as they do not Import rifles
Orlando
I should have been more clear. I know the Army receives returns from nations and then the CMP receives them from the military-hope I have that right
I meant to imply the returns won't be block like they were when the Koreans wanted to return Garands and Carbines.
If i am wrong on semantics then by all means 'ELUCIDATE" FOR ME.