Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2017, 10:56 AM

Default Marksmanship Training

I'm a middle aged man and new shooter. I am interested in learning to shoot better with the factory irons. I'm on paper but all over at 50 yards so you can imagine what 100 is like. I can't be alone in this and can't find anything geared to this nitch.

Does CMP offer any programs like this where we could fellowship and learn from some more f the WWII and Korea guys before they are all gone? I think it would be a great way to show our respect for them and allow them to share their knowledge with folks like me.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
I'm a middle aged man and new shooter. I am interested in learning to shoot better with the factory irons. I'm on paper but all over at 50 yards so you can imagine what 100 is like. I can't be alone in this and can't find anything geared to this nitch.

Does CMP offer any programs like this where we could fellowship and learn from some more f the WWII and Korea guys before they are all gone? I think it would be a great way to show our respect for them and allow them to share their knowledge with folks like me.
See if your local club shoots NRA Highpower. Prior to this past year, Highpower was irons only with the same sight picture across the board with reduced courses at 100 and full courses from 2-600 yards. CMP Games matches are all 200 yards with mostly iron sights still. You can learn from other shooters, watch the AMU video CMP sells, and read the large number of books on the subject. This isn't something limited to WWII and Korea. Traditional marksmanship isn't quite dead, despite joint CMP and NRA efforts.

Last edited by missilegeek; 01-19-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:23 AM

Look for a local club that has As issued Garand matches. I GUARANTEE you will come away from that a better Marksman.

Last edited by 10thmountain; 01-19-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

Quote:

Another good place to start is Project Appleseed's basic rifle courses:

https://appleseedinfo.org/

You'll learn range safety etiquette, shooting positions(prone, sitting and offhand), proper sling usage and taking advantage of your natural point of aim. Check out the link for more details.

A similar organization, Revere's Riders teaches similar basic concepts; but, also offers intermediate and advanced classes. They also offer pistol courses.

https://www.reveresriders.org/

I am scheduled to take a Revere's Riders Advanced Field Rifle class next month. I am really looking forward to it. It will be my first experience shooting my M1 with iron sights beyond 100 yards and out to 500 yards. It is being held at Camp Atterbury.

http://www.reveresriders.org/event/2...-atterbury-in/

Also both groups are CMP affiliates, so training with them satisfies the CMPs live fire requirements.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Thanks Joker. That is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:55 PM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

Quote:
Thanks Joker. That is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.
I was exactly where you were a few years ago. I wanted to shoot CMP events and I had no idea where to begin. A local gun shop owner pointed me in the direction of Project Appleseed.

In following that path, I have met a great group of instructors and shooters in the Indiana area. They are very passionate about preserving our shooting heritage.

My short term goal has been to come to Talladega Marksmanship Park or Camp Perry and 'shooting a match with the grown-ups'.

I've still got a ways to go; but, I am relatively confident that I'll be there in a year or two.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:22 PM

You might want to check out this old military training videos too.

https://archive.org/details/Rifle_Ma...1_Rifle_Part_1
Old 01-19-2017, 03:18 PM

Bubblehead, what's your general location? State Rifle Associations are a very good place to start.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:21 PM

Thumbs up Good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
Bubblehead, what's your general location? State Rifle Associations are a very good place to start.
I'm in rural WV. The closest LGS or range is about an hour out. The Revere's Riders Rifle 125 course in Audubon or Lexington look like my closest opportunity. I'm not a competative person. I just want to learn to shoot better and like the idea of learning the installed irons before introducing a scope.

I'll have to give that a go. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I'm in rural WV. The closest LGS or range is about an hour out. The Revere's Riders Rifle 125 course in Audubon or Lexington look like my closest opportunity. I'm not a competative person. I just want to learn to shoot better and like the idea of learning the installed irons before introducing a scope.

I'll have to give that a go. Thanks again.
Everything in moderation, and competition doesn't have to be your end goal.

I would email Dick Whiting, he's one of the better known mentors in your state (if not the country). Find out where your state team shoots, and that will be your answer. Good luck!

https://www.west-virginia-junior-mar...rg/about-us-1/