Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
I'm in rural WV. The closest LGS or range is about an hour out. The Revere's Riders Rifle 125 course in Audubon or Lexington look like my closest opportunity. I'm not a competative person. I just want to learn to shoot better and like the idea of learning the installed irons before introducing a scope.

I'll have to give that a go. Thanks again.
Everything in moderation, and competition doesn't have to be your end goal.

I would email Dick Whiting, he's one of the better known mentors in your state (if not the country). Find out where your state team shoots, and that will be your answer. Good luck!

https://www.west-virginia-junior-mar...rg/about-us-1/
Old 01-19-2017, 05:54 PM

Several tutorials on YouTube. Start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gyO5QrYzNw
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 01-19-2017, 08:04 PM

Http://ct.thecmp.org

Then find a local match or clinic. We are friendly and welcome those interested in learning and participating. Dick Whiting is a real gem for your state and the entire HP community as a whole.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Old 01-20-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
I'm a middle aged man and new shooter. I am interested in learning to shoot better with the factory irons. I'm on paper but all over at 50 yards so you can imagine what 100 is like. I can't be alone in this and can't find anything geared to this nitch.

Does CMP offer any programs like this where we could fellowship and learn from some more f the WWII and Korea guys before they are all gone? I think it would be a great way to show our respect for them and allow them to share their knowledge with folks like me.
http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-n...iring-schools/

The Small Arms Firing School done by The CMP teaches the basics.
It includes saftey, proper aiming with iron sights, and how shoot in a competition among other beginner topics.

The class is held at Camp Perry in Ohio. This year's pistol class is July 01st and this year's rifle class is July 15-16.

GuapoPogi
Old 01-20-2017, 08:54 PM

I really suggest finding a local group to shoot with. I did the same about 2 years ago and like you not a real competitive person but these guys taught me so much and the fun of competing just with myself keeps me going every month.
And just to add started out shooting about 280 to start and now shoot in the low 400s.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:28 AM

I believe Appleseed is an exceptional program for teaching new shooters. Once you qualify on the 25 yard reduced targets, you can shoot the known distance events, typically at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. They also run the KD clinic at Talladega using the 600 yard range. Even those with experience can learn from this program.

Check out their website. Find a buddy and sign up. You won't regret it.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:55 PM

I wholeheartedly recommend you take part in local matches. Anything you an get to. Dick Whiting is or was active at White Horse range in WV. He frequently posts on the nationalmatch.us forum. Great forum for HP shooters. You'll learn a ton by reading threads on that site too. Beat of luck!

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xringshutr View Post
I wholeheartedly recommend you take part in local matches. Anything you an get to. Dick Whiting is or was active at White Horse range in WV. He frequently posts on the nationalmatch.us forum. Great forum for HP shooters. You'll learn a ton by reading threads on that site too. Beat of luck!

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
Shame that that range is a 2 hour drive from home. Buckhannon is right on Corridor H if WV ever gets it done and would be right on the way from Lorton, VA to home. Or a trip to Cass, WV.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:37 AM

Not sure who recommended the YouTube videos, but they were helpful. Also found many others.

Just need to learn to use the rear ladder sight. I really like the peep and put me last five rounds in a group the size of a CD at 100 yards with my 1903. I'll take that considering it was my first time with any rifle at that range.

Think I'll try the open sight aperture on the leaf next time.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:48 PM

I attended and Appleseed event for the first time 2 weeks ago, my kids were the ones registered and we really enjoyed it. I recommended for anybody who wants to sharpen their shooting skills . Thank you TheJoker

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk