Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2017, 06:20 PM

I forgot to mention that I did see a Johnson rifle. Pretty cool to see one in person.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devil View Post
I can only speak to the northeast, but gun shows in this part of the nation are an absolute ripoff.

When you see the ridiculously high prices, it's almost like the vendors are there for a social experience and really dont want to sell anything.
I think it's a universal concept. Anymore it's a lot of guys splitting a table with their buddies and putting way overpriced guns out that will never sell. I think it serves a few purposes: Friday dealer inspection, a seat to watch what comes in the door, to show off what they own, and to prove to the wife that yes they're trying to sell off the collection but no one is willing to pay a "fair" price. There's a guy regular to the shows around here that gets a table and nothing on it is for sale. Still haven't figured that one out.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
I forgot to mention that I did see a Johnson rifle. Pretty cool to see one in person.
Had my first Cabellas experience friday, have heard about their through the roof prices for Garands and it is true , they also had a Johnson in excellent shape with a price tag of almost 7k, interesting gun , but not that interesting $$$$, but was cool to hold and examine one

Last edited by Joturkey; 02-11-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joturkey View Post
Had my first Cabellas experience friday, have heard about their through the roof prices for Garands and it is true , they also had a Johnson in excellent shape with a price tag of almost 7k, interesting gun , but not that interesting, but was cool to hold and examine one
That is another place I have not been in a long time. And we have one locally.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
That is another place I have not been in a long time. And we have one locally.
They also had a 40k sprinfield mixmaster, I guess they think the mixmaster w/5 digit makes it worth $2700
Old 02-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:

There was also a couple IH guns. Both were in good shape but the tables wanted 1600 -1800 for them. OUCH!
Depending on what they were that could have been a very good prices
Old 02-11-2017, 06:42 PM

Well this goes to show. A smart buyer needs to do there home work before buying.If i was in the market for another Garand.I would buy it on the sellers board here.Most likely a sane price and a nice rifle
Old 02-11-2017, 07:01 PM

There are only a couple of shows that I go to anymore, and even those haven't been worthwhile in some time. For the most part it is some combination of overpriced/junk.

A couple of years ago at one of the shows a guy was trying to sell his IHC for something like $1400-1600, only IHC part was the receiver. After assessing it I politely gave it back and told him I was going to pass. He asked why and I said I was going to wait to see if CMP would sell any. He didn't think that was likely. Yes, I'm glad I waited.

It is hilarious the stories people tell about M1 carbines they have for sale. I am polite but if every one I looked at was a "factory original" or "bring back" like they are sometimes portrayed I'd have a great collection Last year a guy was trying to pawn off a mixmaster Inland as original (for $1500) and then I asked him if it came from Inland without a slide stop installed? Or if that type 3 post-war barrel band on a mid-war gun was correct? etc. Factory original I was told.
Some other show it was an "unfired Winchester", and it goes on...
There is an entertainment factor to it all.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:03 PM

I was also at this show today. Just tons of Garands and Carbines. Most seemed directly from the CMP. Saw the unissued Garand, pretty cool. The only M1 I saw below $1000 was a cast receiver at $650. Carbines started at $900 and went up.

I'm pretty sure some people just want to show off what they have, no interest in selling. Walked out empty handed. As said before, be thankful for the CMP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
I hit the gun show here in NOVA yesterday (day #1 of 3) and found quite a few tables with Garands, Carbines, few Krags, and assortment of European "stuff".

One guy (all the way from Florida) had probably five LONG tables of weapons and NOT ONE had a price tag in them...........NOTHING. He just sat in the middle talking to three other old guys. What puzzles me is HOW DOES HE EXPECT to even have someone make an offer? At least with the prices stated as $2500, $3000 etc (for what would be a CMP $1250) a 'buyer' has an idea of how ridiculous one is priced at. I didn't even ASK about the price of ANY of them.

I did see another table that had an 03A4 priced as $15000. I mean REALLY. There was one real nice UNISSUED HRA priced at $3800.....tin foiled sights and all in a nice glass display case.

Oh well.....it is what it is........sure glad CMP is still functioning.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:05 PM

The best chance at some gun shows seem to be when someone is carrying one for personal sale. I always carry my gauges with me just in case.