Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2017, 07:09 PM

As the saying goes, you buy toys at a gunshow, and guns at a toy show about 10 years ago I went to the CLT auto show and parts swap to buy a new Radiator for my dads 1965 t bird.... found a NOS one and a long box next to it....opened it up and there was a as New Mk 4 Mod 2 Irish 1955 303 enfield... paid 165 for it and 400 for the Radiator..... good buy on both.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:28 PM

It is frustrating to go to a gun show looking for reasonably priced rifles and then having to deal with the BS that now seems to be commonplace.

The last few shows I've been to have had several Garands with the blue CMP hang tags still attached. Most of these, from the looks of it, are bought up by dealers who buy their 12 or 8 rifle limit and then resell them at a profit. Most of the rifles I looked at were service grade mix masters with starting prices of $1200 and up. Nothing special that I could see and not worth it at that price especially considering the fact the dealer probably bought them at $730 or less not that long ago. .

The best deals and reasonably priced Garands are either here on the forums or through private sales. I picked up a very nice O-66 rebuild via a private sale not too long ago for much less than the gun show mix masters mentioned above.

Stretch
Old 02-11-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman View Post
Its the same scene here down south too. Collector grade prices for run of the mill guns.
...and in PA. Was in the market for a 1903A3 and hit one of the regular shows outside Philly. Nice to see some things in person but ended up getting a far better price on GB (yes, GB) for an S-C mixmaster whose non S-C parts will be easy to swap out. Garand prices were simply insane.

Forgot to add...was the first gun show I'd been to in a very long time and I was under the (short-lived) illusion that I'd find bargains.

Last edited by msharon; 02-11-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:59 PM

There are guys with such collections that they like to just show them off. The colt and smith and wesson displays are beautiful, but it's in some thin air.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:52 PM

Was at a PA gun show today (Oaks). Only about a dozen M1's. All overpriced junk. I did see a decent SC 03A3 with SC barrel that was drilled and tapped. Didn't look too bad at $600 or so. Found a new repro M1D mount at SARCO for $45. Guess that's as good as its going to get in that department. I'm sure it'll work ok for my purposes.
Distinguished Rifleman #2349
Old 02-11-2017, 08:52 PM

It really does not matter if you have reasonable prices or high prices, most people are not there to buy anything. It is just something to do in the winter for many people. Maybe the same is true for the sellers.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:11 PM

I did talk to a buddy who has a small table from time to time. He mentioned he would do a walkthrough pre public opening and would find a gun or two he was interested in. He would watch that gun be sold/traded between vendors and by the end of the show it had doubled/tripled in price. Makes no sense to me...
Old 02-12-2017, 07:11 AM

The market sets the price. When CMP dries up, these junk Garands will look pretty good to people. Firearm collecting is now an expensive hobby and likely to get more expensive.

Gun shows only annoy me when people lie, fabricate stories, and hide problems to take advantage of the less informed.

I recently developed an urge to acquire a P38. I'm no expert on the P38 and don't want to be. I had no intentions of starting a collection of them. I wanted one honest, original pistol. I did a little homework on the internet, acted stupid with the seller. If the seller was consistent with my research, I gave them a thumbs up. A person that is really into them will volunteer all kinds of information and you can tell which ones love their hobby. Selling you a clunker would be insulting to them. That said, I still paid $50-75 too much for it (ha!).

Could one of the internal parts be a replacement or a repro, maybe? However, that requires a level of expertise that I have no intention of acquiring.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 AM

Hey guys! Just some tips for those who go to gun shows: (1) Even though someone may have a ridiculous price on their M1, don't be afraid to negotiate. (2) Make an offer similar to what you see on this forum, ask if you can gauge it & take it apart, and I guarantee when you take it down and start gauging it, they will start dropping the price before you even get through! Most guys I know will put a price on a rifle with the mindset that regardless of what price they put on it, someone will always offer less, so they build in room to negotiate. They can always come down, but people look at you funny if you go up!
USAF
Clark Air Base, Philippines
1961-1964
Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post

I did see another table that had an 03A4 priced as $15000.
I had to read that a couple of times before I picked up on the extra "0"...crazy.