Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2017, 09:00 PM

Default Recieved my CMP SG and it seems a little rough.

Hello everyone first post, finally got my account activated so I could post. I ordered a CMP SG back in September and finally got it delivered a few days ago.

Opening the hard case I was kind of disappointed with what I saw. The wood is very dry and there seems to be some mold/mildew on the right side of the stock and some spots on the inside. The bayonet lug is also damaged and I can not mount the bayonet.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/pzMM8

After seeing what others have received for service grades and even some field grades I'm not sure how to feel. I contacted the CMP last night but still have not heard back. Should I try to send it back? Or keep it? I know for sure I'll at least need a new gas cylinder so I can mount a bayonet.

EDIT: Now knowing more about what I have I plan on keeping the rifle and fixing up the stock. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Last edited by Mike762; 02-14-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:08 PM

Default HRA service

Looks pretty good to me. Nice receiver. Some tung or linseed oil on the stock will do wonders. I would NOT send this one back! I am sure there many on the forum who will buy it.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:21 PM

That's a nice original finish HRA SG! If the stock has good lockup I would just give it a good cleaning, oil it and throw it back together. Send CMP a pic of your cylinder...maybe they will just mail you another one and you can swap it out.

Have you taken it apart to look for rebuild markings on the receiver leg?

Rifles you see posted on the forum are the exception, not the norm. Your rifle could have been a CMP reparked receiver with CMP wood...

There is a long line of folks here that would give you your money back for that rifle....no way would I send it back.

Last edited by SFCDave; 02-14-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-14-2017, 09:25 PM

Yeah, the stock "clean up"is no big deal. Call customer service about the gas cylinder bayo lug damage. They'll probably send you another with a mailing label to return the defective one.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it, the stock will clean up fine. As Dave says above you could have gotten a refinished receiver in a put together rifle. As far as the damaged bayonet lug you could call customer service, they should replace the gas cylinder for you.

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261
Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 PM

Open it up and tell us the details on the internals.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 02-14-2017, 09:28 PM

Default Diamond in the rough

CMP does not clean and oil stocks, so you often get them that need some care (they often come totally covered in cosmoline). That said, it looks like a nice HRA to me? As for the stock, I'd use mineral spirits and fine steel wool to remove all of the mildew, and scrub the entire stock down as well, then give it several coats of boiled lindseed oil. I believe it will clean up very nicely. I've always had to work on CMP stocks (except for my first M1 with the orange CMP stock), but they always turn out looking beautiful. The bayo lug looks like it could be filed, but I'm sure CMP would agree to exchange the gas cylinder, I have never been disappointed in their customer service and desire to please customers.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by utdutt View Post
CMP does not clean and oil stocks, so you often get them that need some care (they often come totally covered in cosmoline). That said, it looks like a nice HRA to me? As for the stock, I'd use mineral spirits and fine steel wool to remove all of the mildew, and scrub the entire stock down as well, then give it several coats of boiled lindseed oil. I believe it will clean up very nicely. I've always had to work on CMP stocks (except for my first M1 with the orange CMP stock), but they always turn out looking beautiful. The bayo lug looks like it could be filed, but I'm sure CMP would agree to exchange the gas cylinder, I have never been disappointed in their customer service and desire to please customers.

Good luck!
Good advice....
Old 02-14-2017, 09:43 PM

Any CMP rifle w/ its original finish is a definite plus in my book. And the HRA-mfg is icing on the cake; it has been stated that only ~10% of CMP rifles remaining in inventory are HRA. As others have said, you should have no problem getting Customer Service to swap out that gas cylinder; they are tops, just give them a day or two.

Despite an issue or two, it looks like you've gotten a GREAT rifle; happy Valentine's Day for sure. :-)

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 02-14-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:51 PM

If it was me, I would take a steel punch and tap the bayonet lug back out. Two minute fix.

Tags
service grade