Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone, makes me feel a lot better. I'll keep it and fix up the stock. I still contact CMP about the gas cylinder. What is better boiled linseed oil or tung oil? I've used BLO before but never tung.

Most of the parts seem to be HRA.
Seems the trigger group is SA.
http://imgur.com/a/JnUfJ
Old 02-14-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike762 View Post
[...] Most of the parts seem to be HRA.
Seems the trigger group is SA.
CMP staff switches the TG's between SA & HRA rifles so as to give us things to do on cold winter nights.
And to get us to buy add'l rifles ... ;-)
Old 02-14-2017, 10:05 PM

As everyone has pointed out you received a very nice service grade. The stock is just dirty. I can't see many dings in your pictures. The butt stock and hand guards look like a very good match. Your barrel has good wear readings, and if it is dated 8/55 and is an HR, it is correct for your receiver serial number. This rifle easily meets the criteria for a service grade. If you return it for an exchange you could very easily get something worse in return.

Last edited by BARFTS; 02-14-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 PM

long storage does all sorts of things to wood, but usually nothing fatal. Some lemon oil on a shop towel or with some 000 steel wool should take all of that mold off. Or you can use some raw linseed oil for the same result.

Otherwise you have a very desirable SG. HRA with HRA barrel and what looks to be very good finish and barrel readings. Your rifle is very representative of an above average Service Grade believe people when they tell you that.

CMP should have no problem replacing the gas cylinder if that ends up being a deal killer, let them know. They will make it right.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:26 PM

I will gladly give you what you paid for it ($730) + $50 and I'll pay the shipping.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 02-14-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
I will gladly give you what you paid for it ($730) + $50 and I'll pay the shipping.
Thanks for the offer. However, now knowing more about what I have I plan on keeping it.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 PM

A 4.39 Springfield SG I received a couple weeks ago had white-ish green fuzzy crud that looked just like that on the stock and front handguard. A quick swipe with a soft bristled brush took care of it and then a wipe down with RLO and you would never have known it was there. Give it a cleaning and you'll be good to go.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:56 PM

Thumbs up

I would bet a paycheck that when you get her cleaned up you will kick yourself for even considering sending it back.

Please post "after" pics for us to enjoy.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike762 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone, makes me feel a lot better. I'll keep it and fix up the stock. I still contact CMP about the gas cylinder. What is better boiled linseed oil or tung oil? I've used BLO before but never tung.
Either is fine, and they will deliver similar results. The stock looks to have an original finish below the grime, so you won't need too much work to make it look nice. I'd clean using turpentine, let dry, then mix BLO and turpentine 50/50, apply liberally and let soak for a few hours, then wipe down and allow to sit for a couple of days. Repeat as necessary (you'll know when the wood stops absorbing the oil mix), finish with a straight coat of BLO, and you're all set.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
If it was me, I would take a steel punch and tap the bayonet lug back out. Two minute fix.
+1....I have a brass punch that would probably work too.

Tags
service grade