Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2017, 11:55 PM

Exclamation

Well, you got a Service Grade that meets SG criteria. Did you expect it to come with a clean, refinished and oiled stock, fully lubed, pristine and ready to shoot? Seriously? If so, your expectations were far too high. You got a nice rifle there BTW. Many would give their left nut to get a SG that nice especially an HRA. It's probably a 60-70 year old stock that needs some VERY minor clean up and it's a USGI stock as well. My God man, count your blessings that you actually got a Walnut USGI stock on the rifle instead of one of the oversized, ill fitting CMP repro stocks. That one looks like it's in very good condition too with few dents and dings.

You'll never get that bayo lug fixed unless you take a Dremel to it and that wouldn't take much work to get the bayo to mount. I don't remember CMP guaranteeing that a bayo would fit on the rifle in the SG criteria but, if it's an issue for you, before you start grinding or beating on it, discuss that with CMP. I'll wager a different GC would be on it's way in no time. That's just they way they do things.

I'll bet, with the shortage of SG's these days you could sell that one to a dozen people, for a profit, in a NY minute.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:44 AM

You should never compare grades by what others post pictures of. You should carfeully read the grade description and expect to get exactly that.
Thas a darn nice Garand and you should be glad thats what they sent you
Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 AM

The OP is a brand new poster and new Garand owner. He has been shown the light and has seen the light. Read his three posts. No need to pile on anymore.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:08 AM

That's a beautiful rifle !! I love old dirty stocks, just wipe off the (mold ?) and leave it as is.
Most of my cmp rifles I have I never do much to the stocks, just a little wipe down. .
Congratulations on a good looking H&R.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 AM

That is a nice rifle that I would have been THRILLED to receive. Considering HRA, original finish and barrel, USGI wood I'll bet it's far better than most of them going out these days. The bayonet lug issue is minor and to be honest with you I would not even bother doing anything with it if it's a good fitting gas cylinder. Bayonets are cool and all but how often do you affix them? You may get one that fits or looks worse if you exchange it.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:21 AM

I have seen that white mold on stocks that were overoiled and not wiped down. The mold started feeding on the excess oil. A quick wipe down with a small amount of linseed/tung will clean it up. Storage in a cool dry place will keep it from returning.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:02 AM

If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, I am jealous. Post the parts breakdown and we'll help you out.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:17 AM

that rifle, under the moldy haze, looks pretty damn nice to me. Can you post any stock markings? Sure, it's disappointing to get it like this, but it's all superficial, and easy to remedy. Murphy's wood oil soap and a terry cloth towel will have it looking like new again in 5 minutes.

Last edited by A Seabee; 02-15-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM

The first rule of the CMP "Fight Club".

1.) Never publicly complain or otherwise negatively comment on the as received condition of a mail ordered rifle.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:34 AM

Some of you folks crack me up; wanted to post a 'welcome to the forums & hold onto your wallet' for the new guy.

Tags
service grade