Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Default 1st round low and left; possible causes? Photos.

The saga continues on my CMP Special we built in Anniston. I've done all the legal mods to it to get the most out of the rifle.

Using Nosler CC 168s (BTHP) and 41.5 gr 4064, OAL 3.300".

First shot out of the embloc hits 5-7" from the center at the 7-8 o'clock position. The rest of the shots fit will fit in the 10 ring of the SR1 at 100yds. A couple targets had 5 in the X ring (8 shot groups).

I'm using an aperture front site to eliminate as many variables as possible.

I looked at the way I load the clips. Always ends up with the first round feeding from the left side of the clip (looking forward down at the chamber area). So, I loaded a couple clips such that the first round fed from the right. On these targets the first round was was still low left but not as much. And, the center of the group shifted from the X ring to a couple inches out at 7-8 o'clock.

This first shot flier happened with several different clips that have not had this issue in other M1s (known good clips). No damage after pulling the first round for inspection after clambering.

I did not try single loading, or using the clip with 2 rounds, but thought of it later.

I recall this has been written about in the past. I defer to this M1 savvy group for any ideas on the cause and remedies of something like this.

Here's some photos of 4 of the groups. Please don't yell at me for using the BE repair centers (ran out of SR-1 centers on the firing line...). The flier on the first photo was just off the repair center so you won't see it.

http://imgur.com/a/n0HxE
Old 02-16-2017, 06:08 PM

1st round flier is a common and historic anomaly.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:22 PM

So if your rifle has "it", you just aim your first round in the 8 ring at 1-2 o'clock? That would be hard to do.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 PM

Well...good luck in holding off for the first shot. The phenomenon is well known. Mel Johnson wrote a long article for American Rifleman (in the late forties--47 IIRC) on the subject. There is no simple fix I know of. Good Shooting. ...
Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 PM

Some rifles do it more than others.
Please do not take this wrong but from most of your targets I would say the groups are shooter related and not the rifle
My best shooter really throws the first round and I have tried everything. Only thing you can do is hold off the first shot
8 rds, 100 yds , surplus HXP

Last edited by Orlando; 02-16-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:32 PM

No offense taken :-). I think I can manage 2" or so with the aperture front sight, but that first shot flier is definitely not me! The groups should be a little rounder which is why I think you made the reference to the shooter. Probably correct.

With aperture front and rear, the sight picture is very reproducible, but still there is a little distortion as the eye fatigues. So POA changes, even though it's relatively slight. Groups open to 3-4" with the post front sight, and this is purely a vision issue with me. Working with some eye glass apertures to improve this.

David

Last edited by Submerge; 02-16-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added to the post.