Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2018, 02:00 AM

Default Is this a real or reproduction 30 round magazine?

I have 9, 30 round mags (not sure how many, if any are original) but the only one is marked. It is stamped ďAYPĒ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2018, 08:41 AM

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...ember_2007.pdf

AYP = FN. (Finish on that one is Park looking, odd).

Unmarked = nothing.

Last edited by .Steve.; 12-15-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Steve. View Post
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...ember_2007.pdf

AYP = FN. (Finish on that one is Park looking, odd).

Unmarked = nothing.

Hereís another photo.. what about the magazine holders? Iím pretty sure one is a reproduction but the other one looked okay. The buttons and stitching looked correct. (Not the best pic of the holster, sorry)

Old 12-15-2018, 05:50 PM

Looks like a good fn ayp mag to me. It should have
A plum colored follower in it. I have a bunch of those
Some are a wierd plum color on the mag body also.
Iíve seen the repro ayp mags and the font of the letters
Is very different. Pouches look like good Korean War era
Pouches too.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1 sniper View Post

Pouches too.

Ahh so maybe they are both authentic, just post WWII? Iíll get it back out in a bit to check the follower. Are unmarked 30 round magazines all just considered reproduction? Thanks, Sniper!

Old 12-15-2018, 08:02 PM

Default Is this a real or reproduction 30 round magazine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1 sniper View Post

Pouches too.

Hereís two different mags, ones the AYP and the other is a UU. The UU is definitely reproduction.. You can tell just by picking it up. Itís super light, not made very well, the floor plate looks to be parkerized vs blued on the AYP. Looks like it was made yesterday..

I also have two that say ďMade in AmericaĒ which I believe those are reproductions as well.. the Unmarked ones are solid like the AYP.

Last edited by BuLLetpr00F; 12-15-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 PM

Yup the uu mag is a new madeKorean mag. I have those too and they work
Well in my rifle.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLLetpr00F View Post
Ahh so maybe they are both authentic, just post WWII? I’ll get it back out in a bit to check the follower. Are unmarked 30 round magazines all just considered reproduction? Thanks, Sniper!

Your AYP magazine is "authentic" in that it was fabricated for European military use. Your unmarked 30's would best be called "aftermarket" instead of "reproduction" since they were not made to deceive people into thinking they are USGI. They were made to be used in a carbine. Obviously many people who either don't know or don't care will try to pawn off unmarked mags as USGI. Ones stamped M2 are especially misidentified as military. None of these aftermarket split backs have the "notch" on the front top seam except for ones that were most likely made by B. Jahn Manufacturing, who made the USGI "J" and "J" mags from early in the Vietnam War. They are exactly alike except they lack the stamp.

Personally I think the new 30's marked UU classify as "reproductions/fakes" since they added the "notch" and are stamped UU like the Union Hardware 15-rounders contracted by Underwood during The War.

I have two out and out fake 30-rounders in my collection. One is stamped (IU) and the other is stamped A1 over M2. The last one was definitely made to deceive people into thinking they bought a really rare and valuable magazine. I've seen more fakes than authentic ones stamped A1/M2.

I'm pretty sure that both of your pouches are reproductions and/or fakes. The first one shows age, but does not sport the "US" stamp that all USGI "banana" pouches have and also has a suspicious looking "keeper" for the snap on the flap. The one stamped 1950 looks to be the wrong shade of green and I bet is made from a lighter "softer" stock of canvas than the other. There were a lot of fakes/reproductions stamped 1950.

A great source of info on 30-round pouches is on Bill Ricca's website: http://www.billricca.com/pouch30round.htm
Old 12-16-2018, 05:39 AM

Neither of the magazine pockets or "pouches" are original USGI. The one with the 1950 date is a commercially produced reproduction item for shooters etc...The unmarked one is most likely the same, there is a slight chance, very slight, that it was manufactured in a foreign country for their own use? But my best guess is a commercial reproduction.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:41 PM

Default You Can Also Weight Them? ...

Weigh them? Some of ours have the slick semi gloss black paint finish with the non bolt hold open follower and they weigh about 3 and 15/16 ounces. No letter stampings.

Others we got through a purchase tip here on this forum, (thank you) that have the slightly less glossy black paint finish with the bolt hold open follower that go 4 & 7/10 ounces.

Slightly heavier construction. Also no markings. Both run 100% through our USGI M2 Carbine. We are shooters, not collectors. Lots of good mags available. Just us here.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, NFA Laws And BATFE Rules And Regulations Apply. Your local and state gun laws may vary greatly. Stay safe. Stay legal. Have fun.