Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi2Winky View Post
Thanks for the advice! Signed up on the forum.
How important is it to get the size exactly right? Is 1” too big or too small going to matter?
I started off shooting vintage matches. My average score was around 250. I bought a used shooting coat And I picked up 10 points in offhand. (Went from 60 to 70). Finished out the season in high 80s with the garand. There's no replacement for practice, but a decent jacket, one made of heavy curdura will diffently help.

Moral of the story is you can get by and learn with budget equipment. Your abilty will eventually out grow sweatshirts and soft jackets.
If you are gung ho about stepping up your game, I'd recommend finding a nice creedmoor. Nothing wrong with buying nice used.

FWIW. I have an older Hawkeye size 42 I was thinking about putting on eBay for like $50. I can send it to you try it out, if you don't like it just mail it back.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I started off shooting vintage matches. My average score was around 250. I bought a used shooting coat And I picked up 10 points in offhand. (Went from 60 to 70). Finished out the season in high 80s with the garand. There's no replacement for practice, but a decent jacket, one made of heavy curdura will diffently help.

Moral of the story is you can get by and learn with budget equipment. Your abilty will eventually out grow sweatshirts and soft jackets.
If you are gung ho about stepping up your game, I'd recommend finding a nice creedmoor. Nothing wrong with buying nice used.

FWIW. I have an older Hawkeye size 42 I was thinking about putting on eBay for like $50. I can send it to you try it out, if you don't like it just mail it back.
thank you for the kind offer! sending you a pm
Old 12-16-2018, 12:49 AM

Creedmoor heavy with csnvas body and leather sleeves are the way to go. Watch eBay. Off and on almost new ones are there and a bargain.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:19 PM

Buy the best you can afford. When the time comes and you feel you need to trade up you can sell the coat you have and use the money for a up grade. My first coat was w inexpensive cavas job. Then a friend at my gun club that tried hi power and didn't like it sold me his Creedmoor hardback for$50.00 . I'm still using it today. Eddie
Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 AM

I’m in the same boat. As for advise, a woman’s body can go through a “lot” of changes. I would hold off on her if $ is tight. Some get big and stay that way,some loose it, box of chocolates. Seems like it would have been more interesting if coats had never been allowed. If it’s a sport thing unto itself, I get it. I know there must have been some logic behind it. People as far as I know don’t hunt with them or call time out and put them on during combat. Practice like you play “seems” like would be more logical? That being said, I would love to try a 40” hardback just to cheat a little.

Last edited by crackedwindshield; 12-17-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedwindshield View Post
People as far as I know don’t hunt with them or call time out and put them on during combat. Practice like you play “seems” like would be more logical? That being said, I would love to try a 40” hardback just to cheat a little.
People who use shooting coats are not practicing for hunting or combat.
Highpower is a sport, like Golf, Football or anything else.

Like those sports (and most), careful study of the rules and pushing technology and the rules to the extent allowed is what the sportsmen do.

You can shoot Highpower with an SP1 AR, USGI ammo, a silent sling, and a polo shirt and enjoy, but to win you will need a bit more. And "more" is not cheating, it is competing.

Highpower competition is a type of marksmanship, like 3P .22, air rifle and Trap & Skeet.
Ever seen the equipment race in 3 gun or IDPA/IPSC?

If I wanted to practice for hunting I would setup an 80 yard range with trees, deer stands, a cooler of beer and use a remchester.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 12-18-2018, 02:48 PM

That’s why I said, “ if it’s a sport thing unto itself then I get it.” You left that part out of the quote . I just didn’t know, and have never heard from anyone why it’s that way. If my memory is correct fellow named Carlos hathcock has doned one before and I don’t think him or anyone who does so any less of a marksman. I have just always been curious as to how it was ever allowed. I’m new to the sport but I think I like it, and the kids seem interested also. If you are John from Tuesday at the Talladega 600 hi again, I’m the guy who didn’t have a coat and was asking all the questions about them. If I stay with it I know I will get one eventually. I like the fact that’s this is on a whole different level and takes dedication. Now that I have re read my original statement I see that It sounds like I was stirring the pot a bit, shift work makes me bitter, and hay, I finally got an answer, I’ll do better.

Last edited by crackedwindshield; 12-18-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:26 PM

I wasn't there whenever the first coat was worn, but I am sure it comes form 2 areas:
1. The padding on the elbow, sleeve and shoulder make shooting with a sling much less damaging to the skin.
2. Going back to my comment on careful examination of the rules, I am sure that some, in pursuit of ways to add points, tried all sorts of things not forbidden in order to gain a slight edge. "My USMC coat sure makes it easier to concentrate on shooting but it sure is hot. I wonder if I pull it tight and make the back stiffer......."
Do you need a sling (other an as per the rules)? No
Do you need a 2-stage trigger? No
Will a 12 pound trigger work? Sure.....
Why add weights?
Do you have to match-prep a Garand or M-14? Of course not, but to remain competitive.....
Why change aperture sizes, or even sights form what was issued?
Why are there so many kinds of "shooting" gloves?
Why so many variations of slings?

It's just like any other sport. Every year there are new fads; some disappear, others become "must haves" for the masses.
Take a look at Creedmore, Champions Choice, they keep people very happy with items to scratch that itch.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 12-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Creedmoor has a sale now on their Hardback shooting jackets now with I believe free shipping.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:59 PM

i started with a old canvas jacket with elbow , pulse and shoulder pad. It was better than what I was using.
It was sent to me by a cmp forum member.
A few season later I came across a champions coat used for $75. It was a major up grade and thats whenI started to see the benifit of a coat and its effect on body pulse. Few years later after trying a few creedmore heavy jackets I finally saved enough for a brand new creedmore. Sold the old jacket to off set the cost. One of the best purchases i have made in this sport.

As for where or who introduced these "shooting coats"
Theres a lot of older pictures of USMC shooting teams with them on?
https://usmcweaponry.com/pre-war-wwii-usmc-m1903s/
Bottom row few in from the left has one heck of a glove on and a huge contact patch on his shoulder.
I dont see the sling cuff on these jackets but the arm pads seem to go very high ?

Last edited by mac1911; 12-19-2018 at 08:14 PM.