• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gaterbaitii
    • Feb 2012

New to me Springfield M1922

Hi everyone,

Just got a M1922. It is is really good shape. Unfortunately it did not come with an original magazine.

I did notice that the Bolt is not stamped M2 on the handle (stamped J 8), but does have a serial number on the bottom and not matching to mine. It does have a M2 stamped on the bottom heel of the stock and Lyman 48C rear site. The front site and Lyman globe site, which I am sure is not original.

It seems it went through the M2 conversion, but I am not sure if the bolt is M2 or M1?

Does any one have access to the SRS to see if there is any info on my rifle?

Last edited by gaterbaitii; 08-19-2018, 08:26 PM.
    Retired Air Force 1998-2019

Feedback Link:
    https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread...ht=Gaterbaitii
  • JimF
    • Oct 2009

I think the bolt is a M1, as I see no large, knurled knob on the rear end of the stryker.

When Herschel Garner sees this thread, I’m sure he will help you out.
    --Jim

Comment

• ESWL
      • Jun 2012

Your rifle began life as a M1922M1 in 1927. It would have been an issue configuration rifle in a "B" style stock with grasping grooves. Sometime, after 1937, it was returned to the arsenal and was upgraded to a M1922MII. The upgrade consisted of a new M2 bolt, M2 magazine, new 5-37 barrel and M2 stock. The "B" was added to the serial number and a second "I" was added to the M1922M1 stamp. It was probably also reparkerized.

Your rifle today, does not have the M2 bolt. As JimF indicated, it appears to be an M1 bolt, obviously from a different rifle because of the non-matching serial number. To be absolutely sure, I would need to see a few pictures of the entire bolt with a shot of the bolt face.

Regarding the magazine, if you decide to keep and use the M1 bolt, you will need an M1 magazine. They are a bit hard to find, but they do show up occasionally on eBay or GB. If you decide to change to an M2 bolt, you will want to use an M2 magazine. Those are pretty easy to find. You could sell you M1 bolt and easily recoup your output for an M2 bolt.

And as you indicated, the front sight is after-market. The correct front sight is the 1903 front post.

Regards,

Art
      Last edited by ESWL; 08-19-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• gaterbaitii
        • Feb 2012

Thx for the info. I have added a couple pics of the bolt.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

Feedback Link:

Comment

• ESWL
          • Jun 2012

It is an M1 bolt.

Art

Comment

• Herschel
            • Oct 2010

The info provided by those responding to your request is accurate.
            It is possible but not likely that SRS has data on your rifle. A complete
            serial number is necessary to do an SRS lookup.

Comment

• gaterbaitii
              • Feb 2012

The serial number is 11873 B

Feedback Link:

Comment

• Herschel
                • Oct 2010

No hit on 1922M1 number 11873B in SRS.

Comment

• gaterbaitii
                  • Feb 2012

Can I use this bolt fire safely or do I need to try and pick up an M2 bolt? If I were to trade someone an M2 bolt will it be considered a fair trade across?

I have not shot the rifle yet, but I’m assuming this bolt has been with the rifle for a very long time.

Thx again everyone for your inputs

Feedback Link:

Comment

• ESWL
                    • Jun 2012

Yes, you can safety shoot the rifle with the M1 bolt. The issue of headspace will have more of an affect on potential accuracy then safety. The 1922 actions are basically a 1903 action with an extended rear bridge. It was designed to accommodate the 30-06, so 22lr pressures are not going to be a problem. Your rifle, when new, came with an M1 bolt.

Over the course of development, the 1922 receiver never changed. It was predominately new bolt designs to improve feeding, ejection and accuracy that lead to the three different 1922 models. Thus, any of the four different bolt designs will fit and work in any 1922 model. The only catch is using the correct magazine to ensure proper feeding.

Regarding the value of your M1 bolt, it is definitely a fair trade for an M2 bolt. It is the rarer of the 2 and would be desired by anyone wanting to make their M1922M1 period correct. If you want an M2 bolt, 39chevy has one for sale here: 1922 Parts. It is the final version with adjustable headspace and would be correct for your M1922MII. If you buy the remaining bolt parts he has for sale, all you will need is an extractor retaining pin to make it complete. Then go to eBay and buy an M2 magazine. Later if you want to sell your M1 bolt, drop me a PM and we'll talk.

Art
                    Last edited by ESWL; 08-21-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• BRMPCF50
                      • Dec 2013

And then there are these M1922s...

https://imgur.com/Cf8Jpaf

(As the story goes...) immediately prior to and during WWII, Army Ordnance Corps junior officers assigned to the Springfield Armory experimental shop had access to all kinds of parts: obsolete, discontinued, excess, etc. They were known to "roll their own."

Comment

• gaterbaitii
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by BRMPCF50 View Post
                        And then there are these M1922s...

https://imgur.com/Cf8Jpaf

(As the story goes...) immediately prior to and during WWII, Army Ordnance Corps junior officers assigned to the Springfield Armory experimental shop had access to all kinds of parts: obsolete, discontinued, excess, etc. They were known to "roll their own."
                        Is that one missing the receiver roll marks?

Feedback Link:

Comment

• BRMPCF50
                          • Dec 2013

Correct. No receiver markings. Actually, the officers learned the trade, so to speak, by building guns from the obsolete, excess and reject parts bins.

The rifle is not mine. Belongs to the son of the Ordnance officer. There is a 22 Hornet version he built out there also.

Comment

• gaterbaitii
                            • Feb 2012

That’s pretty cool

Feedback Link:

Comment

Working...
                            X