Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplat View Post
So the guy with the backwards stock pouch says.

I know that I thought the same thing, but then I remembered that I believe he is left handed. Maybe that is why?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:12 PM

I own a couple of carbines, and also carried them as an infantryman in the post-armistice Korean DMZ and in VNam. Fired them a lot and never had reliability issues. As for the mags, I think we should remember that the carbine was not intended as a "battle rifle," but as a defensive weapon. No need to over-design for the mission. I doubt many M1911 or M1 carbine mags were worn out except when the carbine was inappropriately issued as a battle rifle. Also, even IF, so what...Unlike Enfield No 4 and 5 mags which were semi-permanent SNd items, US mags have always been "expendables" in Army lengo. Get some ammo, get some mags. Just my experience.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moammo6 View Post
I own a couple of carbines, and also carried them as an infantryman in the post-armistice Korean DMZ and in VNam. Fired them a lot and never had reliability issues. As for the mags, I think we should remember that the carbine was not intended as a "battle rifle," but as a defensive weapon. No need to over-design for the mission. I doubt many M1911 or M1 carbine mags were worn out except when the carbine was inappropriately issued as a battle rifle. Also, even IF, so what...Unlike Enfield No 4 and 5 mags which were semi-permanent SNd items, US mags have always been "expendables" in Army lengo. Get some ammo, get some mags. Just my experience.
i think the point hes making is that most reliability issues with Carbines are due to the magazines.........I have always read that the little gun itself was very reliable but i could be wrong........and your point about u.s. mags being expendable is correct in my experience but "expendable" is a tricky term.......there is a difference between being expendable due to wearing out/reliability issues (which is why hes saying WWII combat soldiers switched mags out regularly) and expendable meaning the soldier isn't responsible if their lost or damaged (like current M4 and M16 Mags are)........intentionally expendable vs unintentionally expendable........i have not heard of any reports of current combat soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan regularly changing out mags for reliability sake........

I also think its a myth that u.s. war planners did not expect the carbine to be used as a front line weapon or defensive only weapon as you say........it was never intended to "replace" the Garand but considering they were standard issue to infantry and airborne troops (depending on MOS) i think the expectation was it would see heavy combat........i agree however that many more soldiers "acquired" the Carbine and it was pressed into service as a battle rifle more than U.S. planners expected........
Old 05-20-2018, 08:45 PM

Default Forgotten weapons with K.Hackathorn about his thoughts on the carbine

It's a pretty recent video on YouTube that's pretty good. He and Ian go over their thoughts on reliability and how they were used in the military as well as civilians.

Just had thought I'd share.