Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2018, 07:28 AM

I used to shoot full weight in my SR's. Now...I just shoot the 40oz weight in the UBR stock and nothing up front. There are a bunch of combo's to try. I'd suggest being opened minded and see which feels most natural for you. Give them a fair shot (bad pun intended) and then go from there.

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 09-15-2018, 08:33 PM

I know...old thread, but I'm bored, so why not bump an old conversation.

For me, full weight really hurt my scores. The only event it seemed to help in was rapid sitting. The prones saw no improvement, and offhand was hindered by a couple points.

The big problem for me was that a really heavy rifle was something I was much less likely to get out of the safe and dryfire. I'm a competitive bowler, and use a 16 pound bowling ball. A rifle that weighs more than my bowling balls is not appealing to me.

But I did decide I like the feel of the rifle with a little weight in the buttstock. Mostly I find this makes the rifle easier to handle and feel less toy-like during reloads in the rapids. I also put one cuff from the handguard weight into the handguard to get the balance point where I want it. I have maybe two pounds of lead in the rifle now and am quite happy with it.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:14 PM

I shoot a RRA NM A4. I thought the stock rifle was front heavy. I added some weight to the rear of the rifle (handful of pulled junk bullets) to balance it out. I'm new too so I can't say that it helped or hurt me, but I feel a lot more comfortable in off hand and that's got to be worth something
Old 09-29-2018, 10:56 AM

The weights seem to help a lot with dry fire training. Though it can really get old holding up that weight offhand, it can help your form. I have been dry firing a lot lately with full lead weight. I'm still trying to get consistent and practicing with the weight has helped me tremendously with my offhand and sitting. I don't know if I'll use full weights in a match, I tend to do better with less weight shooting. But I practice with full weight 75% of the time.