Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM

What was the headstamp?

A lot of foreign, esp. French, use poor quality brass. These will crack just like you described. It seems that a headspace problem would cause the classic head seperation... crack around the circumference just above the case head.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 01-24-2010, 09:32 AM

I have a photo if someone is willing/able to post it (just need an email address to send it). Any help would be great.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 AM

I saw an old Turk were the gas cut right through the case head into the bolt because of excessive headspace. He was shooting Turk ball. Two back to back rounds did this before he decided to ask for some help knowing something was not right. The rifle was taken back by the dealer after checking headspace which was excessive. Definitely check the headspace if that is ok I would no longer use the ammo.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiterfarms View Post
I have a photo if someone is willing/able to post it (just need an email address to send it). Any help would be great.
See my $.02 worth below his photo.

I was hoping he would send a photo of the headstamp info. If he does I will add it.

Posted for Jupiterfarms:

Second photo from Jupiterfarms - Case head and headstamp

Posted by sigman2:

I have experienced a few split cases like this in two different calibers. 8x57mm Portugese 1945/46 issue and .30/06 French Ball.

Both weapons passed the "Go"/"No Go" test.

Splits like this are due to poor quality or defective brass... not a headspace issue.

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".

Last edited by sigman2; 01-30-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 PM

The odds are much greater that the ammo was very old and brittle or bad loads. I've had many cases split exactly like that on cheap surplus 7.62X54R ammo fired in my Russian rifles that all have perfect headspace.

A headspace check is alway a good idea but, in this case, being the same ammo produced all the problems, I would guess the ammo. Checking headspace isn't always the cure to ammo or case splitting issues. Fact....it rarely is.

I would just dispose of the ammo. Take it to the local PD and they will usually take care of you.

Larry
Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 PM

Didn't think to photograph the end of the case. I will try and find it and forward for posting. I shot three different types of ammo this day, all OLD. I had three case failures like this which were in the exact same place on the brass and all the same type of ammo. I did dispose of the remainder.

Thanks to Sigman2 for posting the picture.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 PM

Don't forget you could pull the bullets and reload in different cases.

Send a photo of the headstamp and I'll post it.

If not, do you remember anything about the headstamp? Was it US or foreign?

I really don't think it's due to age... just poor quality or defective brass.

Last edited by sigman2; 01-25-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:41 PM

From the original post he said rear of the case. I thought he was talking about the split going through the case head. From the picture I agree that is an issue with old ammo I have seen many times before. Also, I was not logged in and the pictures were visible in the post, and when I logged in the pictures went back to links...strange.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:43 PM

Default Update - Second photo posted for Jupiterfarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
See my $.02 worth below his photo.

I was hoping he would send a photo of the headstamp info. If he does I will add it.

Posted for Jupiterfarms:

Second photo from Jupiterfarms - Case head and headstamp

Posted by sigman2:

I have experienced a few split cases like this in two different calibers. 8x57mm Portugese 1945/46 issue and .30/06 French Ball.

Both weapons passed the "Go"/"No Go" test.

Splits like this are due to poor quality or defective brass... not a headspace issue.

It seems to a defective case, either a stamping or drawing flaw.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Old 01-30-2010, 01:54 PM

Default I recall reading that during the war the Denver

ammunition plant decided to make cases in only 2 instead of 3 draws on the brass case (could be 3 instead of 4). This led to a bunch of new cases that split when fired caused by work hardening the brass. This was quickly dropped, but during wartime, a lot of things were done to increase production. My favorite cases are SL 53 followed by LC 54. Both are very good cases.