Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Enfield Vintage sniper rule question

The question is about what scope mounts are legal for a Lee-Enfield No. 4 rifle. CMP vintage sniper rule 6.2.1(f)states: "Scope mounts and rings may be original or reproduction replicas." Since it does not say scope mounts MUST be original or replica, this leaves it unclear if a no-drill type scope mount such as the S&K Insta Mount is allowed. Anyone have insight into whether the other types are legal?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:39 PM

I read that as two choices--original and reproduction. Pick one. Good Shooting. ..
Old 01-20-2019, 10:04 PM

I raced cars for over 10 years, and in that world if the rulebook doesn't say "must" or "shall," it's just a suggestion! That's why I'm asking if it's just an imprecise choice of words or not a requirement.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:52 PM

Original or Replicas seems to imply the gun has to LOOK like an original Enfield Sniper - so I would guess they would NOT allow aftermarket commercial mounts. The key word is "Replicas" - copies of the original mount design. You could contact CMP directly, though. CC
Old 01-21-2019, 03:38 PM

original or reproductions of the original
Old 01-21-2019, 04:20 PM

It is a rule book, not a suggestion book. Good Shooting. ...
Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
It is a rule book, not a suggestion book. Good Shooting. ...
A poorly written one at that. Changing "may" to "must" would remove all doubt about my question.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
A poorly written one at that. Changing "may" to "must" would remove all doubt about my question.
I agree the rules are kind of vague. But remember rule 6.1.1. (See below)This is kind of the golden rule that will govern all ambiguity in other rules. Its also at the discretion of the armour checking your rifle that morning.

However, I think I know where you are going with your question. If you could use your existing rifle without any permenate modifications. I get that and maybe there should be some consideration to that. I personally see no advantage to a particular mount. I think the advantage is in the optic itself, not how it's attached to the rifle. But what do I know.

6.1.1 Intent and Spirit The spirit and intent of the CMP Vintage Sniper Rifle Team Match is to provide modern target rifle competitions for competitors who use original or replica military sniper rifles dated 1953 or earlier. This Match is a two-person team event designed to replicate and test marksmanship skills similar to those employed by traditional military sniper teams. Any rifle configuration or item of equipment that is not mentioned in these rules or that is contrary to the spirit and intent of these rules is prohibited.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Its not a vintage sniper match, its a scoped surplus rifle match now. If modern weaver k series scopes can be installed on 03a4's, the logic to demand original No.4 "T" mounts or repro of original mounts on a No.4 rifle is lunacy.

CMP would do well to take a trip down to Henry County Gun club outside Paris landing, Tenn. There, they'd see a real Vintage Sniper Match...with unknown distance targets as well. Worth anyone's while to check out their matches once a month. They do these things dead right.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 AM

I actually have an original No. 4 (T) with its original mounts (but not original scope) so I do have a rifle to use, but I would consider using the no-drill mount on another rifle to save wear and tear on the original, hence the question.

The rule as written does open something of a can of worms. K98s are a prime example. There are at least four variations of mounts that were used by the Germans during the war years. Are any/all of them legal for conversions?