Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2019, 11:23 AM

Default Gunshow find

I was at the Las Vegas antique gun show yesterday and happened to find this little gem on a rack for a price I couldn't pass up. Not completely sure what I have but for the price payed even if it is nothing special I still got a good deal.

Springfield 1903 serial number 1496683.
NS bolt with serial number 1461451 penciled on the bolt body.
C stock with D1836-4 drawing number. No other cartouches.
Star gauge barrel 3-37 that measures almost a 2 on MW, bore looks pretty good.
Stippled buttplate.

Finish is a little worn but better than the pictures show.

Last edited by lemmonhead; 01-27-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:46 PM

Better wait for cplnorton, but looks like some USMC rebuild traits, stenciled bolt, stippled buttplate, hatcher hole??? look for vise marks under the wood on the barrel when you get a chance, nice score by the way!
Old 01-27-2019, 02:22 PM

Doubt there will be vice marks, I'd have to look it up for sure but I think the barrel is original. My 1498692 was wearing a star gaged 4-37 barrel. Congrats, nice rifle, now we need to work out a trade

Last edited by Randy A; 01-27-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:44 PM

I didn't think Marine rifles were in C stocks?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:26 PM

No vise marks. This should be the original barrel for the receiver.

It does have a Hatcher hole. After ~1936 didn't they leave the factory with the Hatcher hole as a new build?

Last edited by lemmonhead; 01-27-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer
Old 01-27-2019, 04:15 PM

It's in the absolute perfect serial range of the the Marine Corps NM shipment from 1937 and I have no doubt what you have here is a Marine Corps NM rifle from the National Match teams.

These are the team rifles that were converted to snipers starting in Jan 1943. But not all were converted.

Your rifle was never converted. The bolt serial number is pretty close to my first Unertl which was from the 1935 or 1936 shipment. Which those two shipments we don't know the serial ranges as well as we do the 1937 and 1940.

The most common serial range snipers we find, are in this exact serial range.

If you want to sell it, PM me. I always buy these if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmonhead View Post
No vise marks. This should be the original barrel for the receiver.

It does have a Hatcher hole. After ~1936 didn't they leave the factory with the Hatcher hole as new build?

That is the original barrel to the Marine 1937 shipment. There would be no vise marks. The Hatcher hole on this one is factory SA drilled as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm View Post
I didn't think Marine rifles were in C stocks?
You are correct about the service rifles, at least till WWII started and the Marines didn't have a choice but to buy some replacement C's off the Army.

But on the team rifles, they had C stocks starting in 1928 if I remember right. I didn't go back and look at the doc. But I'm pretty sure it was 28.

But even with the addition of the C stock, you still do see straight stocks on USMC team rifles all the way up to the last NM in 1940. I only suspect maybe because of shooter preference, and to the average Marine team shooter, he had never felt a C stock before getting on the team.

But no you are right, C stocks aren't common on Marine rifles. The Marines hated the C stock on regular service rifles.

Last edited by Big_Red; 01-28-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 01-27-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
It's in the absolute perfect serial range of the the Marine Corps NM shipment from 1937 and I have no doubt what you have here is a Marine Corps NM rifle from the National Match teams.

These are the team rifles that were converted to snipers starting in Jan 1943. But not all were converted.

Your rifle was never converted. The bolt serial number is pretty close to my first Unertl which was from the 1935 or 1936 shipment. Which those two shipments we don't know the serial ranges as well as we do the 1937 and 1940.

The most common serial range snipers we find, are in this exact serial range.

If you want to sell it, PM me. I always buy these if I can.

Thanks. Roughly how many rifles were sent to the USMC for NM rifles in these shipments?
Old 01-27-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmonhead View Post
Thanks. Roughly how many rifles were sent to the USMC for NM rifles in these shipments?

Well between 1919 and 1940, I can track for sure orders in the amount of a 1050. A few were sold to individual Marines and in 1942, they detail they had 1047 left. Which those were a mix of NM and Special Target. The Special Target were rebarreled NM rifles.

There were some ordered on top of the 1050 number ordered in the 20's, but it's a long story on why they don't show up in the counts in 1942.

But back to your rifle, it would have been counted as a NM in 1942, because it has it's original star gauged barrel.

At least 250 of these 1047 were converted to Unertl Snipers and shipped to the Pacific in 1943. The remaining approx 800 NM and Special targets were recorded as being in storage at the Marine Depot in 1945.

Your's should have been one of the approx 800 in storage at the Depot in 1945.

Originally it would have been in a shipment of 150 NM rifles in 1937 and the 2nd to last shipment the Marine teams received.

There not super rare, but they are still rare. I see 2 or 3 a year I think on average.

This is the order for your rifle. We don't have all the serial numbers, but rifles from this shipment are so common, it's easy to see the pattern, and it's why I feel so comfortable saying I don't have any doubt your rifle was in this shipment.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:46 PM

Wonderful rifle, how good of a deal if you don't mind saying?
Old 01-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Jason 714 View Post
Wonderful rifle, how good of a deal if you don't mind saying?
Well he had $650 on the tag but I didnít pay that much.